Soft shelled issue for 11 months, I'm seeing a real problem now....

At one point a week or so ago, she was very thin.... Putting weight on slowly now. She is eating her greens (spinach, Swiss chard, broccoli), meal worms, soft foods (grapes, tomatoes, strawberries), and she has access to her pellets although I don't see her eating them as much as she is pushing them to the floor of her cage. I have purchased baby liquid vitamins to have on hand, I will administer 2 drops by mouth (this should be interesting) shortly. I thought I would let her free range herself today, but a little nervous that she might go under the deck at one point and not come out for me.

Her foot is doing much better... Thank god.

This morning was so stressful, she looked at me as though ... your not going to leave me here with these bitches who would eat me when you leave -are you??? Chickens can be so cruel :(

So frustrating !!!!!!

This is so darn frustrating....on the positive side; my Lady is eating, alert, tail up (never down) and her pooping looks good. I had her outside today without the other hens (as they want to attack when given the chance). It was so nice seeing her being a chicken.... She found a new spot to dust bathe, grabbed a few bugs, took some of my lawn in and layed in the driveway and took a sun tan!

On the negative side; she is having some balance issues.... Leaning to oneside, crossing her legs and stumbles ( like she has been drinking). If you go to pick her up she runs real well without missing a step!!! When walking slow, she is staying low to the ground - like she has weak knees. Then she will stand tall and her tail is straight in the air!!!! Comb and wattles are still a little pale.....

Her belly is not showing a large amount of fluid.... I compared her to my others, not much difference. She is much thinner then the flock members, so if she has fluid building up it could be throwing her off - but this much? NO signs of respiratory illness.

I'm going to try some baby aspirin tomorrow. I'm thinking she might have some inflammation going on. I have duramyacine 10 on hand, that might be the next med to try her on. This coming Thursday it will be 4 weeks with her being away from the other hens.

Any other suggestions????

So I definitely do not think that my hen has mericks disease .... Her movement and behavior dose not fit! This morning she passed a oblong shaped rubbery looking thing in her poop. Still not steady on her feet, comb and wattle still pale....

Eating okay, poop is a good consistency - I let her out every day (alone) for about 2 hours. She looks to dust bathe, and lays in the sun.
She has been getting calcium shots once a week and I have been adding baby vitamins (without iron) and flora to food.

Besides the EYP that is going on, could it be worms that are bothering her????? There is NO sign of any worms in droppings ....
Could she be wormed now that she is not up to par????

Please advise, thank you.

One month today, my hen Lady is still in my garage.
Two days ago she has displayed swollen eyes.... No other symptoms. I have been giving her duramycin 10 in her drinking water daily. Day 3 and eyes don't look worse, but very little improvement.

Her tail is always straight up in the air, her feathers are growing back (from molt).
How much more time should I give her to recover? She still is suffering from this drunken walk and stumbling thing which I'm thinking is EYP (can run with no problem though).

Should I give up on her?

So I definitely do not think that my hen has mericks disease .... Her movement and behavior dose not fit! This morning she passed a oblong shaped rubbery looking thing in her poop. Still not steady on her feet, comb and wattle still pale....

Eating okay, poop is a good consistency - I let her out every day (alone) for about 2 hours. She looks to dust bathe, and lays in the sun.
She has been getting calcium shots once a week and I have been adding baby vitamins (without iron) and flora to food.

Besides the EYP that is going on, could it be worms that are bothering her????? There is NO sign of any worms in droppings ....
Could she be wormed now that she is not up to par????

Please advise, thank you.
The rubbery thing in poop could be a Lash Egg.. From what I've read, you should get the chicken spade or fixed or whatever they do to chickens, because they will never be any good for egg production if they lay lash eggs. Here's a link : http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html?m=1

Back
Top Bottom