Soft shells?

My gosh, I’d forgotten the crazyness posting on forums can be. One trying to navigate & figure the page out. The other is the slew of opinions & bickering that starts up,lol.
I definitely don’t think having chickens is rocket science. I can certainly understand some things should be kept in check, but I also don’t have a massive flock of birds. Our birds are free roaming to a large yard. We have them mainly as pets really as we find them very entertaining & the eggs are a bonus.
My Mom has done the same for several years & feeds them about anything & everything & always had healthy happy birds.
Mine have just began laying. This is the third week in since our first couple. A few few we didn’t get because two froze & got pecked during a sub 0° week that they was stuck in the coop & I’ve had a couple soft shells before today’s that also got mushed.
My two sapphires are being pretty consistent & laying almost every day generally early in the morning. My Americana is still random with another who I haven’t figured out yet. But the Americana is the one laying the soft eggs currently. She has laid 3 hard eggs prior though.

My gosh, I’d forgotten the crazyness posting on forums can be. One trying to navigate & figure the page out. The other is the slew of opinions & bickering that starts up,lol.
I definitely don’t think having chickens is rocket science. I can certainly understand some things should be kept in check, but I also don’t have a massive flock of birds. Our birds are free roaming to a large yard. We have them mainly as pets really as we find them very entertaining & the eggs are a bonus.
My Mom has done the same for several years & feeds them about anything & everything & always had healthy happy birds.
Mine have just began laying. This is the third week in since our first couple. A few few we didn’t get because two froze & got pecked during a sub 0° week that they was stuck in the coop & I’ve had a couple soft shells before today’s that also got mushed.
My two sapphires are being pretty consistent & laying almost every day generally early in the morning. My Americana is still random with another who I haven’t figured out yet. But the Americana is the one laying the soft eggs currently. She has laid 3 hard eggs prior though.
If your Americana is new to laying sometimes it takes time for the egg laying factory to get up to speed.

I am sorry for the bickering. It is very off putting. Anyhow, I have 12 chickens and was getting a soft shell and I added baked egg shells with the oyster shell and so far so good. I think every layer needs to work out some kinks. Good luck with your flock!

I am sorry for the bickering. It is very off putting. Anyhow, I have 12 chickens and was getting a soft shell and I added baked egg shells with the oyster shell and so far so good. I think every layer needs to work out some kinks. Good luck with your flock!
Really no big deal. Just surprised how quick a question came back with a several comments that got a bit touchy feeling.

So true.....takes awhile to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore.
Welcome to BYC!
Hopefully your soft shell layer get things in gear soon...some birds are just 'lemons' tho.

Back
Top Bottom