Soft shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chicklette

Chicklette Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    So I was just tonight telling my mother in law, who had her first free range eggs for dinner, that we've been so lucky with our first dozen eggs as they've been perfect little pullet eggs with super strong shells. So tonight I mosey down to the coop and open it up to find two soft shelled eggs under the roost... didn't check in there yesterday so it looks like I've got a new layer with soft shells (got two other nice eggs and only 3 squatting). From what I've read this can take a while to work out - they are already getting layer feed and have access to oyster shell. Not going to panic yet! What a weird little egg.

2. jennybensmom

jennybensmom Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    We got two soft shelled eggs from one of ours too. It was under the roost, so don't know who laid it. So far, we've only had two of our girls beginning to lay, but today found four eggs! We were excited to see that and hope one of them was from the girl laying the soft shells.

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I have one hen who routinely lays eggs with thin-ish shells, in spite of layer feed and all the oyster shells. So I mix some Tums in with some plain yogurt and she gobbles up her "treat" . . . and her eggs are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by