Soggy, no rather I should say "moist" coop floor

On third try I fell over the fence somehow. I mean literally one minute I am dashing toward the coop door, next minute on the ground; bam. Wish I had it on video. We are talking big, black woman, almost 200 lbs on the ground. My left leg is scratched up, skirt is filthy; whew lord, whoda known chickening could be hazardous to ones health.

Yikes! Hope you're OK and don't stiffen up too much after the fall.

I've taken a few falls that way myself.

Yikes! Hope you're OK and don't stiffen up too much after the fall.

I've taken a few falls that way myself.
EEuuu, have to go to work tomorrow 0600, so I hope not as well. I tripped over the lowered fencing apparently (shoulder shrug). Well, photos still have not come through. I trid uploading from phone to laptop; that is taking forever. Now, I gotta dress for worship. I hear hubby hitting razor against sink.

Have a lovely evening and stay tuned for the pics of the coop floor, probably tomorrow.

The moist coop floor :hmm.

Attachments

• 20221208_154841.jpg
    20221208_154841.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221208_160104.jpg
    20221208_160104.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221208_160015.jpg
    20221208_160015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20221208_154841.jpg
    20221208_154841.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221208_155949.jpg
    20221208_155949.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I can't *see* anything out of order. If it smells earthy rather than like ammonia or mold and it's not truly wet then it's *probably* OK since it's a dirt floor rather than a solid floor.

If water is running into the coop across the ground or off the roof you could try putting a diversion ditch around it to lead rainwater away to somewhere else.

If my run is moist, I go out, add something dry and rake the heck out of it. I find mixing in the dry helps tremendously. I also use a good ol' garden claw to churn the deep litter. Thing's a lifesaver.
View attachment 3344810
One of those would be perfect save for the wire underneath. Hubby encased the bottom of the coop with wire to prevent digging predators. Gonna get one of those for tilling soil and I am thinking I just have to not be overly vigorous so I don't hit the wire that actually touches the ground.

You are so funny
Uggh, tried to get inside coop, those lil bieles and neiderrs stay right at the door. They keep trying to get out (too soon). On third try I fell over the fence somehow. I mean literally one minute I am dashing toward the coop door, next minute on the ground; bam. Wish I had it on video. We are talking big, black woman, almost 200 lbs on the ground. My left leg is scratched up, skirt is filthy; whew lord, whoda known chickening could be hazardous to ones health.

Okay, I'm going back out there to try and get IN without them getting out. Oh, I am excited because I have acorn squash on a kabob (or whatever you call it) for them. I even tried throwing pieces in to distract them. Nooot; they ain't stupid.

K, here I go out there again . . . :yesss:
🤣

Back
Top Bottom