Solar Eclipse 2024 Coming April 8th!

Are you traveling to see it?

• Total voters
I have my eye protection all set…. Depending on where I need to be that day I’ll either be smack-dab in the 100% zone or just off it in the 99+% zone.

As I used to teach astronomy labs years ago, this is a fun refresher for me….
This is one of my visual shading devices.

IMG_0865.jpeg

I have my eye protection all set…. Depending on where I need to be that day I’ll either be smack-dab in the 100% zone or just off it in the 99+% zone.

View attachment 3770835
Welding glass works great actually!

View attachment 3770835
I don’t think that mask will do much but the welding shield should work nicely.

I don’t think that mask will do much but the welding shield should work nicely.
It’s bloody amazing how well that mask filtered the welding soot from getting into my nose and lungs in that welding class at the VA Resource Center last summer!

Acetylene torch goggles? Actually no. They are not dark enough. Damage can happen to the eyes. This was a big dialogue back when I was working in the physics department’s astronomy labs.
Absolutely correct, I have doubled up on them and that was good but I don't recommend that either. I have actual certified viewing glasses.
ETA -- if they state they are certified by NASA they are not any good, NASA does not certify solar eclipse viewing glasses.

Last edited:
Acetylene torch goggles? Actually no. They are not dark enough. Damage can happen to the eyes. This was a big dialogue back when I was working in the physics department’s astronomy labs.
No. #13 or 14 green shade glass for a mig/tig mask. I use that when I'm taking photos and want to look up with the naked eye. You're right that torch glasses aren't strong enough. Those are like a 5?

Back
Top Bottom