Solar LED lamp to encourage egg laying over the winter

That's a great setup, but way too pricey for me! Mine was a set of solar spotlights (3) with a remote solar panel that I attached on the outside of the coop. They lasted for 6 years until I quit using them. They were $29.95 at Lowes. The solar shed lights are great, but most I had seen you would have to turn on every night & then they would run down.

That's a great setup, but way too pricey for me!  Mine was a set of solar spotlights (3) with a remote solar panel that I attached on the outside of the coop.  They lasted for 6 years until I quit using them.  They were $29.95 at Lowes.  The solar shed lights are great, but most I had seen you would have to turn on every night & then they would run down.

The links I posted above the MyPetChicken one are much cheaper.

I drill large holes in the side of my coop sized to fit $1 dollar store lights and stick them in, friction fit. I do remove the little reflector in the bottom of them first.

When they stop working, just buy new ones and pop them in. $10 should light it up well enough. Plus the hole saw, which I had.

I'll be adding the lights I have to the coop this year, they are clearance solar outdoor holiday lights from two years back. Got them for <$10 per huge string, and used them last year to light up my porch for getting home (since it was always dark) and to let my dog be able to see when she hung out on the porch without having to use the porch lights (because my electric bills are crazy, oh the joys of whole house electric). One string will be plenty to do my 8'x16' divided coop.

Because of the shorter summer sun, as someone else mentioned, solar lights in the winter dim out in a few hours. Mine dimmed and eventually went off around 9pm in the winter (so about 4 hours of light to various degrees as it dimmed). In the summer they regularly stay on way later than I've ever stayed up due to the sun itself being out later and the total sunlight being larger, so I wouldn't use them in the summer (either disconnect the panel from the lights or cover it). Because of the gentle dimming before going out I don't think there will be any issue with a sudden loss of light.

As far as cost effective coop lighting without running a cord, I really think clearance solar holiday lights are the way to go based on how they preformed as porch lighting last year. If you have the time to plan a holiday season ahead and score some good clearance deals, that could save you a lot in the long run. (But less useful for those who need them this winter.)

This one looks promising too. It stays on for longer, which isn't great, but it comes on automatically at dusk. Plus it's cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WCL1H7K
I wanted to update this thread. I ended up buying this light. Once all of my chickens were laying I turned it on. I was getting about 2-3 eggs per day before I installed the light, a couple of weeks after I installed it I started getting 4-5 (with 6 chickens). Coincidentally we also started having some warmer weather, so that could be contributing to the egg count, but I do think this light is working. It was cheap and easy to set up.

Added: I just realized that Amazon no longer sells this light new. Oh well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom