Solar Powered Aquarium Heater?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CluckyJay, Jun 19, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    How would I run an aquarium heater on solar power? Because of an earlier thread, I was thinking about this winter and the chickens bucket nipple watering system.

That or, can I paint the container black and insulate it really well and that keep the water from freezing?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Tommie D

Tommie D Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Wichita KS
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How would I run an aquarium heater on solar power?

It's not cost effective to run any type of heater on solar power.

Heaters take too much wattage, and you can come out better running a power line to the coop​

4. Peterp

Peterp New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah you can get this done, basically there are a few things you need to find out. What is the wattage needed to run the appliance you need. as in how much power does it consume, and then get a the right size solar panels in watts that will provide the right amount of solar power you need, usually get a little more then you need. Then you will need an regulator, to control the voltage. You also need a battery, so you can store the power to use over night, as the sun doesnt shine at night time. So plug your solar panel into a battery, so that this battery will always be charged.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I don't know what your climate is like, but be aware that aquarium heaters are not designed to keep water warm when it is below freezing outside. They're meant to work inside a reasonably temperatured house. You're more likely to end up with a broken heater inside an ice block.

6. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Quote:I have been using aquarium heaters for two winters. They work great even if they are not designed for this use. I live at 6500 feet in the mountains of Wyoming. Mine are on from November to the end of April. They are running twenty four hours a day all that time.

7. mmlogan

mmlogan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Did you find one that is solar powered? Or an elec. outlet that is solar powered to plug it into? I'd really hate to run an extension cord out to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by