***SOLD*** Lavender Silkie Rooster - Texas

What a hansome fellow! (and the bird looks good too). I have a few questions if you have the time. I am not interested in buying the rooster, but a couple of silkie questions. You mentioned a black base. Is that in feathers or skin color? I was told that silkies all have black skin. Also, mine have mulberry combs. I assumed that since the skin is black, the combs would be dark, but yours is a red color in the picture. I guess I am not making any sense (quit smoking yesterday), but these are just some thoughts that I have. I am in NO WAY suggesting that yours are anything other than top of the line, just some idiot ramblimgs!

1). The term "black base" refers to the color that is "covered" by the lavender. By having a "black base" the lavender color appears more vibrant and 'lavender' like.

2.) Most Silkies to have a mulberry comb, as that is what the standard calls for. However the Lavender variety is still in development and not accepted as "standard" yet. This boys comb is a little more red than I prefer, but is still capable of throwing properly colored offspring.

Ok, thanks so much. One more idiot question, and this is what started it all. I have a splash rooster and a blue hen. I have one pullet of theirs and she is alot lighter than the rooster. I thought that she was a splash, but looks alot like yours. Did I make a lavender and not know it?

No you didn't. Lavender can only be produced by two copies of the "self blue" gene. More than likely you have another Splash, which is two copies of he Andalusian blue gene, which is completely different than Lavender or "self blue." By breeding splash to splash, or splash to blue, over time the 'blue' color will get lighter, which is probably what you have going on, depending on the parentage your rooster and hen.

BTW... Congrats on quitting smoking! One day at a time!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for humoring me with my questions. And the congrats. I'll leave you alone now. See ya 'round!

Hello,
I believe I met you at the great Shawnee, OK Poultry Show. And, I was wondering if you will be at the show in Idabel, OK this Saturday?
Thanks,
Grace

Back
Top Bottom