Solid Black Egg

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
So I was candling eggs, it's about 6 or 7 day now, and there was one that the inside was solid black other than the air pocket and it was heavier than the others. Any answers?

Does it smell?

Edit: did you candle the eggs before you put them in? I like to candle on day 1 mostly to look for cracks or anything that might tell me the egg is a waste of time to incubate but it would also catch a bad eggs as well.? Also do you know where the egg came from and how old it is?

Does it smell?

Edit: did you candle the eggs before you put them in? I like to candle on day 1 mostly to look for cracks or anything that might tell me the egg is a waste of time to incubate but it would also catch a bad eggs as well.? Also do you know where the egg came from and how old it is?
it's 7 days old and I candled when I got them and the yolk looked a little bigger than the others but i didn't think much of it. and no it doesn't smell.

If it were me (and you can take this with a grain of salt) I would remove the egg. In my eyes better safe than sorry. A bad eggs can ruin the whole batch and cause problems with your next hatch if it introduces bacteria in your incubator that you don't get out before your next batch. I don't know but I would bet the egg is bad if all you're seeing is black on day 7. Just curious is this a dark egg like Maran or welsummer.

If it were me (and you can take this with a grain of salt) I would remove the egg. In my eyes better safe than sorry. A bad eggs can ruin the whole batch and cause problems with your next hatch if it introduces bacteria in your incubator that you don't get out before your next batch. I don't know but I would bet the egg is bad if all you're seeing is black on day 7. Just curious is this a dark egg like Maran or welsummer.
they're ameraucana eggs so they're blueish green and some are more white

Back
Top Bottom