1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Solstice Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Little Red Chicken, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Little Red Chicken

Little Red Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    If I got four eggs from four hens on the shortest day of the year (while it was snowing), can I count on getting eggs all winter. Or will the production go down when it gets really cold here in New England?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Theoretically, you should get eggs all winter through. Cold can slow them down a tad, but not as much as short days do. Enjoy!

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    On Dec 1st, my girls were not producing after being temporarily relocated. on the 21st I had 11 eggs and today I got a dozen. That is about 50% productions, but it is going in the right direction. We have also been in sub freezing temps for two weeks. Today we got all the way up to 33*.

The did not have artificial light at the temp sight. they get 14 hours of light now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by