*solved* Chickens Crossing The Road! HELP!!

Thats incredibly small. How many chicks are supposed to be in there and for how long?

If you can't keep them where they won't get hurt you may need to just move them along, especially since it seems like you're not a fan if them
I agree that it is small. I only used it once for a bantam hen and her chicks because of ravens and she was really bad at protecting them from the other chickens untill she got a bit more meat on her bones. Also my friend might take the 4 chicken off my hands when school starts.
How do I train them to not cross the road until then is the question.

I agree that it is small. I only used it once for a bantam hen and her chicks because of ravens and she was really bad at protecting them from the other chickens untill she got a bit more meat on her bones. Also my friend might take the 4 chicken off my hands when school starts.
How do I train them to not cross the road until then is the question.
The only way is to lock them in a run. Chickens are very stubborn and now that theyve been crossing, theyll continue to do it.

The only way is to lock them in a run. Chickens are very stubborn and now that theyve been crossing, theyll continue to do it.
But I trained my other chickens to not do it. This method doesn't work on the new ones so I was hopping that there was some other method. People train chickens to sing, dance, and even play piano. The pen is to small. They might freak out and rub their beaks against the mesh and bleed out. 😰
There has to be other people that know how I should train them.

You cannot train them. If they’ve been doing this for a while, they WILL continue. You need to build or buy a much larger run, and if you cannot afford to do that, you should do what’s best for the chickens and re-home them. Your current pen cannot fit more than one chicken in it. Chickens are not like dogs- they cannot be trained permanently for things like not crossing the road. You, as their caretaker, need to do what’s best for them, and training will likely never work. So it’s probably best to begin looking for alternative options.

You cannot train them. If they’ve been doing this for a while, they WILL continue. You need to build or buy a much larger run, and if you cannot afford to do that, you should do what’s best for the chickens and re-home them. Chickens are not like dogs- they cannot be trained permanently for things like not crossing the road. You, as their caretaker, need to do what’s best for them, and training will likely never work. So it’s probably best to begin looking for alternative options.
They just started to cross the road. My other chickens ARE trained to not cross the road. Chickens are not dumb. If a fox kills a chicken then they avoid all foxes. Chickens don't just forget how to play a piano or forget that they were potty trained. As I said before when school starts my friend might take them. I do love these chickens but they are just to destructive and stress inducing.

I guess that if no one else have ever had this situation then I guess that I will have to deal with it by myself and test different ways of training.

Also I am a teen and I have no power to build or buy a new run. This chick run was built by my greenhorn handyman work and scrap wood. It helped with its purpose but it can't support these 4 chickens. My parents would also be upset because I would have to feed them extra food to make up from the scavenging space. So no matter what I can't give them a run.

I hope that you have a nice day and sorry for the trouble. 😔

They just started to cross the road. My other chickens ARE trained to not cross the road. Chickens are not dumb. If a fox kills a chicken then they avoid all foxes. Chickens don't just forget how to play a piano or forget that they were potty trained. As I said before when school starts my friend might take them. I do love these chickens but they are just to destructive and stress inducing.

I guess that if no one else have ever had this situation then I guess that I will have to deal with it by myself and test different ways of training.

Also I am a teen and I have no power to build or buy a new run. This chick run was built by my greenhorn handyman work and scrap wood. It helped with its purpose but it can't support these 4 chickens. My parents would also be upset because I would have to feed them extra food to make up from the scavenging space. So no matter what I can't give them a run.

I hope that you have a nice day and sorry for the trouble. 😔
If you cannot give them a run, you should rehome them as soon as possible. Chickens need food, water, and protection from weather and predators. It is not fair to the chickens to deny them what they need. As for your friend, you should not rely on that “might take them” statement. You need to find a home that is willing to dedicate the time, work, and money needed to properly care for the chickens. Not a “maybe I might want them”. To me, the might statement is kind of a red flag. You should search for a home that is capable of giving them everything they need, including attention. You can post ads here, on Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Just don’t neglect their needs. I understand that it’s a tough situation for a teen to be in, especially if your parents control the money and have specific rules, but you are responsible for four lives. Chickens are living, breathing animals, and if you cannot take care of them properly, you need to find someone who will. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but it’s the truth.

If you cannot give them a run, you should rehome them as soon as possible. Chickens need food, water, and protection from weather and predators. It is not fair to the chickens to deny them what they need. As for your friend, you should not rely on that “might take them” statement. You need to find a home that is willing to dedicate the time, work, and money needed to properly care for the chickens. Not a “maybe I might want them”. To me, the might statement is kind of a red flag. You should search for a home that is capable of giving them everything they need, including attention. You can post ads here, on Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Just don’t neglect their needs. I understand that it’s a tough situation for a teen to be in, especially if your parents control the money and have specific rules, but you are responsible for four lives. Chickens are living, breathing animals, and if you cannot take care of them properly, you need to find someone who will. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but it’s the truth.
Ok. This is NOT their coop. They get alot of water and are feed a bunch of food at night. Their coop is a coop. They have shelter, perches, food, and water in the coop. They DO NOT live in this run! Also when I say might I mean 99% chance. He raises chickens for eggs and once said that he would take all of my chickens if something bad was to happen. It was around 6 months ago when he made this vow and I have no rights to speak for him. If he doesn't then I have 3 more friends that are interested in getting a flock.

I'm guessing, leaving them in the coop during the day while you are at school isn't an option. I saw your penned area. Do you also have a run/area attached to your coop that you could keep them in during the day?
Training the chickens can be tough especially if they seem to like crossing that road, those rascals! Building a fence won't work because they will easily get over the fence.
How did you train the chickens before to not cross the road? I'm just curious and maybe someone has an additional idea to help train them or something that worked for them.

I'm guessing, leaving them in the coop during the day while you are at school isn't an option. I saw your penned area. Do you also have a run/area attached to your coop that you could keep them in during the day?
Training the chickens can be tough especially if they seem to like crossing that road, those rascals! Building a fence won't work because they will easily get over the fence.
How did you train the chickens before to not cross the road? I'm just curious and maybe someone has an additional idea to help train them or something that worked for them.
Nope I have no run for them. The other chickens would avoid this sliver pole. I use it to lead them out of the woods and off of the road by gently tapping their back and nudging them. They grown to hate it so much that whenever I appear with it they go up to the house because they know that they are allowed there. The 4 just look at it and blink. No matter what. (I can't award them with treats)

Back
Top Bottom