Solving the Thermostat Conundum

I ordered one of those last week from Amazon, I think it was $14.something with free shipping. Free shipping from China, apparently. It's supposed to be here August 1.
roll.png
It supposedly has a precision of 1 degree F, so should be adequate. It'll also go all the way down to 58 degrees, so I can use it on my chest freezer to control fermentation temperature for a few different styles of beer.
smile.png
Well, to my surprise, it was in the mailbox when I got home last night. Wired it up and POOF. Black smoke. I guess I'll be sticking with my Hydrofarm unit for now.

How did you wire it?...

This is the way to wire it... Disregard terminals 5 & 6 (in the diagram), if you unit doesn't have them.

Cheers
frow.gif

Last edited:
How did you wire it?...

This is the way to wire it... Disregard terminals 5 & 6 (in the diagram), if you unit doesn't have them.

Cheers
frow.gif

Mine came with that diagram, and an alternate diagram to connect the power and heat source to the thermostat without wiring them in series. It was supposed to have an internal switch, according to the instructions. I'd scan it and post a picture but I already dropped it in the mail to send it back.

Something I am learning about goods from China is that a bunch of companies will make something based on the same design, but each product will be slightly different. I don't know if that's how they avoid legal issues over there or what. The Janoel incubators would make a good case study.

At any rate, if I had known it was coming direct from China I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

Being the voltage the correct one for your grid (110/220V) and the wiring good, I guess you got a faulty unit...

You may have a point there... Personally, I always check device label(s) before plugin in... Don't trust online info (from vendor or other) or poorly translated (if you could call it that) operator manuals... No problem, thus far.

Either way, they're (almost) all Made-in-China...

So I think I wired this thing properly but I am having trouble with settings. I chose d from the menu for slewing range of temp. I thought I set the temp but my heat source/load is still off. I really don't understand the directions, but I guess the longer it takes me to figure out, the more eggs I will have to set : ) Any help anyone could offer would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Never mind that last post... I did not have it wired correctly. I had to find a photo of one with actual wires online. Wiring really messes with my dyslexia... anyway, very excited to finally have a thermostat so thanks for this thread! Now I just need another one so I can have a separate hatcher.

do you possibly have any pictures of how you wired the thermostat. i have the same one. it turns on, but i cannot get it to turn on the light in the incubator

Back
Top Bottom