1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some advice please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harvey2611, Apr 16, 2011.

1. harvey2611

harvey2611 New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Hey,

Ok, today is day 25 and still no signs of life since 1 hatched on day 21...

Got 11 eggs still to hatch but guessing they aren't going to? Should I crack one open and see what is going on? I did a float test yesterday and they are all fully developed but no pips or movement or noise...

How do I go about breaking one open? Do I start off at the big end where the air sac is? Also, if it is still alive (which I doubt) do I put it back in the bator and let it hatch itself? Don't want to end up hurting or damaging the chicks if they are still alive and just late bloomers.

Thanks for any help

2. chrystalduck

chrystalduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Your not hearing any sounds from the eggs? Do you notice a bad smell? I have had my ducks go over 4 days past hatch date. I would think you should hear or see some movement from the eggs.

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Did you have any temp issues? What hs your humidity been?

I have not had any go that long, but that is just me. I do know that when I have had some low temp days, that eggs have hatched later than expected, but not 25 days. If you want to crack one open, start at the top where the air cell would be and go from there.

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I'd probably open up one if I had a hatch go that long. Yes, you start at the large end and very carefully pick away so you can see inside. Look for a beak or anything sticking through and that is where you want to start helping the chick if its still alive. If you can't see a beak just start peeling away a little membrane and see if it bleeds. If it does bleed the chick is alive so stick it back in the incubator! If you start peeling away and there is no blood just keep going slowly and keep note of what position the chick is in, how developed it is, etc to help figure out what went wrong with your hatch and how you can better your next one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by