1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some beginner questions!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FluffyPuff, Feb 17, 2015.

1. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

I was hoping to learn some things about keeping quail. Do they need more or less space than chickens? since they are much smaller I would assume they don't need as much space but then what about the fact that they fly? I was hoping to raise quail for the purpose of eggs but how often do they lay? How much can the eggs sell for? Do the eggs taste good? The only poultry I have ever raised are chickens. :( I have an aviary for something like a large parrot would that work as a quail home? what exactly do you feed your quail? Does anyone make their own food, if so,recipe please? Sorry for all my questions...

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I'll answer the ones I know :)
    1. Quails require less space than chickens. I'd say one square foot per quail would be fine.
    2. Quail do need a totally enclosed coop because they can fly to some extent. Also, they are fairly clueless as far as escaping/evading predators.
    3. My quail would sometimes lay once per day. Other times nothing (probably because I didn't provide heat/light during winter). If you are raising them for the eggs, I've heard that Coturnix are by far the best.
    4. I never sold my eggs, but I've heard they sell for more than chicken eggs to the right buyer.
    5. Depends on how big it is. I had four quail in an old rabbit house that was about 4'/1'6"
    6. I fed my quail regular chicken feed, but you can get better laying performance with higher protein food.
    Hope that helps a little!

3. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

It's kinda late to reply but that's much appreciated info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by