Some chickens would be nice

BrooklynBirds

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Brooklyn, New York
Hello there. My family and I just purchased our first home in bucolic Brooklyn, New York. I am in the process of clearing my "back 200 hundred" (square feet) of weeds and bushes with the goal of constructing a coop and run at the "far" end of it so that I am ready for some bantam pullets come spring. I am at the beginning of my steep learning curve, and am currently devouring any information I can get my eyes on. I am waiting for "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" from the library, and in the meantime, am pecking around here. Looking forward to knowing some of you. Happy to have found this community.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like you have a perfect place for raising chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breeds in mind?

Many of the typical chicken breeds now come in "bantam " varieties so you will have more to choose from. Do you mainly want them for pets, yard décor, or eggs, etc.?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely follow the links that Kelsie has provided. The learning center has all kinds of great articles on getting started and raising your birds and in your state thread, you can chat with your chicken neighbors about all kinds of things.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Hello there. My family and I just purchased our first home in bucolic Brooklyn, New York. I am in the process of clearing my "back 200 hundred" (square feet) of weeds and bushes with the goal of constructing a coop and run at the "far" end of it so that I am ready for some bantam pullets come spring. I am at the beginning of my steep learning curve, and am currently devouring any information I can get my eyes on. I am waiting for "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" from the library, and in the meantime, am pecking around here. Looking forward to knowing some of you. Happy to have found this community.
Hey Neighbor!!!!! Im from Suffolk... just got 3 babies at the beginning of the month. (ordered 4 but one didnt make the trip, long story short she was injured and it was really sad) Like you, I researched A LOT! but at the end of the day the most important info I found is... Try to get all girls as I believe local laws are the same for you and I... we can't have roosters... I ordered from mypetchicken.com and got all girls (hopefully hehe) I ordered all "cold hearty" chickens as I dont plan on heating the coop... something to keep in mind.

make sure you have a coop, (I bought mine off amazon) shipped right away but they will only deliver with a signature... when you put it together find it a permanent location.... I re-wired the entire coop with hardware cloth. And I put the hardware cloth 2 ft in the ground all the way around.... (this keeps unwanted visitors out of the coop and the flock protected) also I found a lot of people buying the type of coop I ordered said that it was much smaller than expected and although the description says "up to six chickens" there is only room for 4 standard size but you wont have to worry about that as you are thinking of bantams... but that is for when your chickens are ready for coop-life..

I keep my babies in a large tank (old reptile tank) and I splurged on a brinsea eco glow to keep them warm... they seem to enjoy it :eek:) They are almost 3 weeks old and are still inside (our house). They are growing nicely and getting LOTS of feathers! I put pine shavings down on the floor, got a little feeder and use medicated and non medicated food (if I could go back I would get all medicated but now that I have non medicated I have to use it so I mix) For the first week I gave them a little sugar in their water but I slowly weened them off that and they are drinking straight water now...

We take them out a few times a day so they are used to us.... and its working pretty well... they all have personalities and enjoy our company. :eek:)

hope this is good info to get you started!!!

Back
Top Bottom