Some eggs stopped developing

Vanessa373

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
Australia
I’ve got 24 eggs in my Janoel 24, 10 buff orpingtons and 14 Wyandottes. I purchased the fertilised eggs locally. I candled at day 7 and all looked good. I just candled again at say 18 ready for lockdown and it looks to me like all but 1 of the buff orpingtons have stopped developing but all of the Wyandottes look as they should. They’ve all been in the same incubator and were definitely all fertile at day 7 so I’m unsure what is happening here. None of the orpington eggs smell bad or have a visible blood ring when candling, the mass inside the egg just looks very small and the air cell very large in comparison to the Wyandottes. I’ve attached some photos of the Orpington eggs I just candled. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Attachments

• IMG_9632.jpeg
    IMG_9632.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9634.jpeg
    IMG_9634.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 17
If that's Day 18, I'm no hatching pro but that's what I'd call a quitter. By day 18, there should be a chick in there. If in doubt, I'd not throw it out though.

Breed shouldn't matter as they all pretty much need the exact same temp of 99.5F and average humidity of around 40-50% until lockdown. The humidity isn't anything to get stuck on as some dry hatch at way less than that, but the temp should stick at 99.5.

If that's Day 18, I'm no hatching pro but that's what I'd call a quitter. By day 18, there should be a chick in there. If in doubt, I'd not throw it out though.

Breed shouldn't matter as they all pretty much need the exact same temp of 99.5F and average humidity of around 40-50% until lockdown. The humidity isn't anything to get stuck on as some dry hatch at way less than that, but the temp should stick at 99.5.
Thanks for the advice. I’m perplexed by the fact that all of the Wyandotte eggs in the same incubator are fully developed, but all the Orpington eggs pretty much look like this. I wouldn’t have thought breed mattered either but seems so strange that some stopped developing when they’ve all been in the same incubator and the same conditions as far as temp/humidity goes

Thanks for the advice. I’m perplexed by the fact that all of the Wyandotte eggs in the same incubator are fully developed, but all the Orpington eggs pretty much look like this. I wouldn’t have thought breed mattered either but seems so strange that some stopped developing when they’ve all been in the same incubator and the same conditions as far as temp/humidity goes
Since you have two different breeds there, one of which is doing well, and the other is not, I'd be blaming the hen or who owns them. Obviously, they were fertile, but the health of the hen who is laying the eggs is important and in my opinion, is the problem here.

Back
Top Bottom