Some Hatched-Some Died ???????

adobechicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
I had 5 eggs make it to full grown size and only 2 of them hatched. They other 3 died just before....never rocked or anything. The 2 that hatched are healthy and happy. What is going on????? I only candled them 3 times. The last time was on day 10. I know there is probably no definant answer but I am obviously doing something wrong?? Any advise??

Did you open the egg and check which position were the dead one in ?

I have seen chicks that died because they never pipped into air cell and probably (drowned).

Ya...they were all with their feet toward the large end and their heads toward the small end. Like they never turned around and got positioned properly. One of the 2 that did hatch hatched from the small end...the other from the large end. It is so sad the see them fully developed. They yolks were not totally absorbed in any of the ones that died.

I tried to hatch under a broody. Some of mine didn't hatch, those I think she didn't sit on correctly. Sometimes I would come back to the nest and see her on the wrong nest. I think, if you used an incubator, maybe that could mean you had temperature fluctuations?

The rest that didn't hatch were laid later, when I wasn't looking, and their hatch date was later. One hatched, and the rest didn't, and my hen had to get up off them to chase her baby around. Once again, temperature fluctuations.

I agree with Rosie, open the ones that didn't hatch and see if you can see something that looks off...

I have the same situation now. In addition to that snafu, I just a fully developed chick (lot of hair) died in the egg.
Its large and seems like never moved into right position to pip into air cell. Just died with head facing the side (not up or down).

I have the same situation now. In addition to that snafu, I just a fully developed chick (lot of hair) died in the egg.
Its large and seems like never moved into right position to pip into air cell. Just died with head facing the side (not up or down).

Its very frustrating isn't it!! They get all that way and die right before. I just wish I knew what is wrong. My temp was at 99.6-99.8 for the entire time. I used a Brinsea Mini Advanced bator.

I tried to hatch under a broody. Some of mine didn't hatch, those I think she didn't sit on correctly. Sometimes I would come back to the nest and see her on the wrong nest. I think, if you used an incubator, maybe that could mean you had temperature fluctuations?

The rest that didn't hatch were laid later, when I wasn't looking, and their hatch date was later. One hatched, and the rest didn't, and my hen had to get up off them to chase her baby around. Once again, temperature fluctuations.

I agree with Rosie, open the ones that didn't hatch and see if you can see something that looks off...

I'm thinking the temp is not high enough...but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom