Some help please?

c.wilson

Songster
11 Years
Jul 4, 2008
*I have a few questions.*
1. what type of bedding is best for them?
2.when is a good time to move them to the "big coop"?
3. is it a good thing to hold them alot or just feed and water them and leave them alone?
4.what breed of chicken is best to hatch chicks - and please post a picture of them

We use aspen shavings right now and will add straw this winter for more warmth.

My hens went in the coop when the coop was done! They were already laying. If I could have it done before that I would have put them in it when I took the heat light away. My babies will go in soon but they will be in cages not loose.

All of my hens are pets. I can sit down outside and they will run over and visit. A few will jump up on my leg and settle in for a talk. The new babies are spoiled too. I can open the cage and they run out to get petted. I like friendly birds and livestock. If you need to doctor them it is easier to do it.

I don't know about setting hens. I have Dominiques and they are supposed to be good setters but I don't have any experience with it. I can't get photobucket to work this morning but if you Google Dominique you can see them. I hear Buff Orpingtons are good also.

I believe the general consensus on broody hens is silkies. I have bantam hens that are very good broodies, as well as standard OEG hens that are excellent broodies as well. I have one OEG that sat on eggs for 6 weeks, before we had pity on her and bought her some chicks. She even went back to an empty nest, when all her eggs went bad.

c.wilson :

Pine shavings is what I use.

Depends on time of year. Now, since it is gettin cooler, I would wait until they are fully feathered (6-8 weeks, breed dependent). May require supplemental heat if you want to do it sooner.

3. is it a good thing to hold them alot or just feed and water them and leave them alone?

Depends on the individual. Are they a commodity to provide you eggs & meat or are they a pet? When mine were young I sometimes fed them out of my hand to get them used to being around me.

4.what breed of chicken is best to hatch chicks - and please post a picture of them

I hear the Orpingtons will still go broody. Google for a pic.​

c.wilson :

1. I use pine shavings.
2. I moved mine in at 4 to 5 weeks. My first chicks didn't get moved until they were 5 weeks because the coop wasn't quite ready.
3. Mine like to jump in my lap. It's up to you and if they like to be held.
4. I believe silkies make good brooders. If I hatch I buy the eggs and they go into the incubator, but there are plenty of BYC'ers who know better. A friend of mine has a Buff Orpington that's broody.
yippiechickie.gif
caf.gif

We used mixed shavings, mostly pine. Avoid cedar.

2.When is a good time to move them to the "big coop"?

We had to move ours at 2 weeks when they started flying. We used a brooder lamp in there and an exercise pen blockes with cardboard to retain heat and block drafts.

3. is it a good thing to hold them a lot or just feed and water them and leave them alone?

Ours were naturally friendly and began to fly onto our chests and shoulders by 2 weeks. He held them a lot from the beginning (12 hours old) and they still regard us a living roosts.

Check home page below. I'm very pleased with ours (golden comets). RIR white x RIR red

Back
Top Bottom