Some help with King Quail chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by oshaii, Feb 19, 2014.

1. oshaii

oshaii New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    I recently got two King (Button) Quail chicks, one is probably about two weeks old now, the other likely three? weeks. I've never owned quail before, my mum has though. So I thought it would be a nice little venture to embark on. I did a lot of research and bought from a reputable breeder, so I'm not totally clueless. And the little chickies are very happy in their new home. I just had a few queries which I couldn't really find via Google, and was hoping some more experienced Birdskateers could help me out?

[​IMG]

1) Since they're Kings, I know that feather sexing will be the easiest option when they're old enough. I was wondering at what age they start to get their "bib", if they're male? And if there was any way to know earlier - behavioural things, perhaps?

2) I'm putting my hand in and trying to make them as familiar with me as possible, since I want to tame them as much as I can. I've only had them for about 6 days so far, but they eat out of my hand, and run over my arm/hand, and let me pet them (when they're in the mood). But they do run around a lot and flee from my hand when I first put it into the cage, and freak out when I walk past sometimes. Is this normal behaviour? And will they grow out of it? I would like these guys to be as tame as possible by the time they're adults, what do you think my chances are?

3) The smaller, silver one of the two has been keening and peeping a lot, to put it bluntly, it's a very whiny bird, and follows the brown around a lot and pecks at it occasionally. It also has this odd little tick, where it shakes its head three or four times? Is this normal, again, or what could it possibly mean?

4) They both tend to peck at the floor a lot, and I've been taking this to mean that they're hungry. But they do it even though they have their seed, and their protein mix inside the cage with them. I've tried feeding them grapes, they didn't take, and a bit of boiled egg, they had a nibble. But otherwise, is there anything else I could feed them, so that they're not pecking the floor like they're hungry? Or does this display mean something completely different?

5) I tend to talk to them back in their peeping chirping noises, I was wondering if there are any "soothing" quail noises I could make, to help them trust me more?

6) When is the correct age for clipping their wings? I don't mind them flying, but for their own safety (so they don't bump and bash into things) I'd like to get them clipped.

I think that's all for now. Apologies for so many questions, hoping someone will be able to answer. Thanks so much! :]

- Shai. ​

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by