Some insight in single chicks death

Aprilxoxo

Songster
Feb 6, 2022
About a week ago i hatch out some chicks. The last 2 to be born worried me, last couldnt stand and walk and was taken buy someone who is going to try to rehabilitate since it didnt seem to be injury.

And the 2nd last bled a bit when she came out of shell. Her navel scabbed over and she was eating, drinking and pooping but compared to all the other chicks she wasnt as bouncy and energetic. I wouldnt say she was lethargic though. I gave her extra vitamins and watched her condition over the week.
Today she was suddenly very lethargic. I didnt see her eat and i tried giving her some extra fluids but really wouldnt accept it. At the end of the day she was so sleepy her head kept dropping then suddenly she went into death throes and past away in my hands.

I inspected her and she didnt have any noticable signs of illness. I took the scab from her navel and she had a tiny protrusion. The area wasnt infected or inflammed but i dont know if a tiny bit of the yolk sac thingy stays there for awhile.

I just want to make sure that nothing was contagious that could effect the other chicks. The other chicks are bounding little healthy joys at the moment so i just think this chick failed to thrive or complications with her belly if thats abnormal.

The only way i can discribe the navel is like a teeny tiny skin tag. There was no apparent opening into the skin

Some chicks are just not right inside. They don't grow right, or aren't formed correctly inside to grow properly. Some can't absorb nutrients. Many reasons contribute to "failure to thrive". Sounds like that's what happened to your chick. I'm sorry she passed away.

Enjoy the rest of your chicks. Of course, this is my best guess over the internet, but it doesn't sound like the rest of your chicks are in danger. Sounds like the one chick just failed to thrive, and that's not communicable.

Some chicks are just not right inside. They don't grow right, or aren't formed correctly inside to grow properly. Some can't absorb nutrients. Many reasons contribute to "failure to thrive". Sounds like that's what happened to your chick. I'm sorry she passed away.

Enjoy the rest of your chicks. Of course, this is my best guess over the internet, but it doesn't sound like the rest of your chicks are in danger. Sounds like the one chick just failed to thrive, and that's not
Its reassuring to be told that the others wont be effected by the passed chick. Ive been so worried that ive been inspecting them constantly (they are going to be so tame lol) thank you for your reply :)

Back
Top Bottom