Some of my eggs are cracking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lynette, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

On really cold mornings when I am collecting my eggs, I have found some to be cracked or split. I am assuming it is because they are freezing. Are they still okay to eat? I would think they would be since they are cold, but I wanted to be sure.

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    During our cold snap (-25*C) I had to collect my eggs a few times a day so they would not freeze. I had never tried to eat a frozen egg, though.

An egg that cracks in the nest is open to all sorts of bacterias and germs to enter. I would not eat a cracked egg. Unless I was the cracker.[​IMG]

3. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    I have had occasional eggs freeze & shells crack during cold snaps. (That would be a heat wave for you--only got to single digits! LOL) I would worry about contamination. They smell fine , but the yokes don't stay together when you crack them open. I scrambled (& cooked) them, fed to the dogs or chickens. 2 cents from a newbie, so take it for it's worth.

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    When I've gotten frozen ones that are cracked, if they are very clean, I'll run hot water over then while still frozen to wash them off, then let them thaw and I use them as normal or eating or baking. If dirty, I'll still wash and use them for the dogs,cats,chickens. No one here has ever gotten sick from using them.

5. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    When I find a cracked egg, if the inner membrane has not leaked, I eat it. I just make sure it is thoroughly cooked. If it has leaked because the membrane broke, I hard boil it, chop it and feed it to the chickens as a treat. I figure you can freeze eggs so they aren't bad just because of the freezing. The texture suffers a bit tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by