Some of my eggs smell bad while cooking...

This is an interesting thread. I searched it because I had to buy eggs when my hens were molting. I noticed some had a strong, chicken poop smell. I have to say, since raising my own, I am much more picky about where my eggs come from. My question is, do fertilized eggs have a smell?
No. Fertilized eggs do not smell any different than infertile eggs.

Last edited:
That question asked if the dude was a city boy was just silly. I've lived in the country half my life and half my life in the city and I've ate a shit ton of eggs bought from the store and farm raised. I love farm fresh eggs. They flip easier and the thick shell prevents the shell from falling apart in the pan and ending up in your food. There is a rotten smell from an old egg and then there is a manure smell from a bad egg. There is a difference and it has nothing to do with where you live. I've just had some bad farm fresh eggs for the first time which is what brought me here. Definitely do not eat the eggs if they smell like chicken poop. I've ate old eggs and the worst I got was gassy if they are a little rotten but not completely spoiled yet. Right now I have a shit taste stuck in my mouth. The dude isn't imagining things and there is definitely a problem with his eggs. Hopefully this helps anyone brought to this forum in the future. My stomach hurts

That question asked if the dude was a city boy was just silly. I've lived in the country half my life and half my life in the city and I've ate a shit ton of eggs bought from the store and farm raised. I love farm fresh eggs. They flip easier and the thick shell prevents the shell from falling apart in the pan and ending up in your food. There is a rotten smell from an old egg and then there is a manure smell from a bad egg. There is a difference and it has nothing to do with where you live. I've just had some bad farm fresh eggs for the first time which is what brought me here. Definitely do not eat the eggs if they smell like chicken poop. I've ate old eggs and the worst I got was gassy if they are a little rotten but not completely spoiled yet. Right now I have a shit taste stuck in my mouth. The dude isn't imagining things and there is definitely a problem with his eggs. Hopefully this helps anyone brought to this forum in the future. My stomach hurts

I also write the date in pencil on the end of my eggs. I do it because I want eggs about two weeks old for "hard-boiling" (a misnomer, I don't boil them). But it also enables me to " rotate the stock." That is, I put my freshest eggs at the BACK of the bin and the oldest ones at the front, so they'll get used first. Putting your fresh eggs in front means your old eggs get older and older until, when you finally DO get to them ... They are completely inedible.

A word to the wise: if an egg smells bad, looks bad, or tastes bad in any way (either rotten or poopy), ... Don't eat it! Actually this is true of any food! Except bleu cheese. Bleu cheese is supposed to stink.

A breed of Rhode Island Red from Europe have a gene that is the cause of the stink but it is triggered by flax seed, usually found in the seed blocks. American breeders slowly bred the gene out of the RIR. I had one hen that suddenly started laying stinky eggs until I stopped buying the blocks. Somewhere on line the history of the gene is explained much better than I have.

Back
Top Bottom