some of my latest additions

mr bellmere

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 17, 2011
114058_img_0633.jpg

thought I would share some of my new hatch.
We call these light grey birds with the red/plum eyes silvers here in Australia, also a cinnamon, peal & pied

Aww how cute
smile.png
Thanks for sharing! Is that a little Cinnamon over on the right?
Those red eyes freak me out, lol. On the Cinns they look ok, but on those little Sliver keets... it's kind of spooky! (No offense intended, just something I'm not used to seeing in my hatches, lol). Are there any stripes on the heads of the little Silvers? (Looks like I can kind of see some). They very closely resemble our Lite Lavender keets over here.

I just started collecting eggs for the incubator yesterday from one of my young flocks. They've laid around 3 1/2dozen eggs in the last 12-14 days, but I had just wormed that flock with Fenbendazole in their water for 3 days so I've been waiting out the withdrawal time (figures they'd start laying eggs as soon as I wormed them!! Thought I was worming early enough so I wouldn't have to mess with withdrawal time
he.gif
), otherwise I'd have almost a whole load to put an incubator in already
hmm.png
lol (That is if they are fertile, they are in the fridge... going to cook them form my dogs and check fertility of each egg as I crack them open).

Congrats on your hatch, more pics pleeeeease!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Good spotting with the cinnamon PeepsCA.
I guess they are a little freaky but we are used to them lol
They do have faint stripes & they show up better in photo than naked eye for some reason.

Your in winter over there arent you? Your guineas are keen laying at that ime of year, wish mine would get a little keener here.

Quote:
My eyes automatically get drawn to any keets that stand out, especially the colors I don't see many of, lol
ep.gif

If your little Silver keets' head stripes are that faint, maybe they resemble our Porcelains more than our Lite Lavenders then. We'll have to swap pics of adults, your silvers, my Lite Lavenders and Porcelains for comparison.

Yes, technically according to the calendar it is Winter over here in the US, lol... but you wouldn't know it going by the recent weather here in my area of California. We've been having Springtime temps since November, with very few frosty mornings and hardly any rain so far. No hard freezes yet at all... I'm still harvesting tomatoes from the garden even! (Which the birds are loving). Not sure how the weird weather will effect the normal laying season in the next few months (February/March is when they normally really start laying steady for me, with 100% fertility), but for now I have maybe up to 6 young pullets laying. I've been watching my 3 older flocks, and they aren't being secretive while out free ranging, and I have not witnessed any of them breeding, so I don't think any of the older Hens are laying yet.

I cracked open 37 Guinea eggs and cooked them for the dogs today, less than half looked fertile
hmm.png
So my first batch of eggs that goes into an incubator in a week or so may not be that impressive, but we'll see
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom