Some of my new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

These are some of the welsummer and marans chicks I've hatched out since Monday (12-03-07). One has a leg issue, but seems to be getting around ok so far and another is a little slow. Please excuse the messy bottom....I'm getting ready to remove the puppy pad from over the wood shavings.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Gorgeous babies! Congrat's!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the third pic, the Marans chicks seems to be whispering in the other one's ear, "Hey, why does she keep doing that thing with the flashing box in her hand?"

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG] maybe he's the one who kept coming up to the camera when I held it down in the box, and then jumped a foot back when the flash went off.

5. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    They are adorable, Katy. I heard/read somewhere that the Welsummer pullets tend to have a pointier forehead "V". Wanna follow up on that theory for me? LOL! I want some Welsummers this spring--not sure if I will hatch or buy. Great-looking group there!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'll have to keep track of that. Some are more defined V's than others.

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

OOh, I'm so jealous of those adorable Welsummers!!! I will be hatching some in the Spring!! They are so beautiful!! I lost my young ones when my other chickens decided they didn't want them in the coop after they had already been there for a week???? Who knows what goes on in the minds of chicken??

Beautiful chickies, Katy!!!

Lori

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have 2 older welsummers that have always laid dark eggs and more consistantly than my marans. I'm looking forward to having some more.....at least I hope I get more pullets than roosters!! My hatches lately have been more roos than pullets [​IMG]

9. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Looks like quite few Maran pullets from the color.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep.....the marans are from my own eggs and also from some I bought. I hope you're right on the pullet thing!! I really like my marans' personalities. The 2 older welsummers that I already have aren't as friendly, but they've been very good layers. I thinking real hard about some orp eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by