Some of My Small/Semi-Fast Quilt Projects *Pics* Trying New Skill Now-Tying

I decided to try to learn how to tie a quilt in order to do some faster projects than my normal hand quilted stuff. After watching some youtubes, seemed simple enough. Got the right needles, some yarn, pieced a crib quilt, did a small swatch of practice ties, so far so good. Then, started tying the actual quilt. Didn't go as planned. Bent one needle trying to pull it through. Broke one in half. This tying thing isn't as easy as it looked, but I think I may have gotten a handle on it now-put needle with yarn all the way through before then bringing it back up through the layers, rather than trying to go down, then up like taking a regular stitch. I was about to punch big holes or put runs in my newly made quilt doing it the way they did it on the youtube videos, yikes!

Here is the quilt. The sashing and border are a blue-purple color, though that doesn't show properly in my dark house. Not sure I'll do another tied quilt after this. Guess I'll go back to the usual hand quilting with my 6-8 stitches per inch, which will take much longer than tying, but won't give me the stress of poking extra large holes in my quilt top!

ETA: After breaking four needles, literally snapping half of the eyes off, I've finally found one that seems to work much, much better, a candlewicking needle I think it is. HUGE eye, glides through easier, thicker so it won't break as easily. I'm not loving the tying thing, but at least, I think I can do it and finish this quilt. Yea!

ETA, again. DONE, except for the binding.

Last edited:
and a table topper made for my friend, Brandon, who has sent me several surprise gifts through the mail and who I wanted to surprise right back. It's designed with the colors of his kitchen in mind, told to me by one of my spies, LOL:

I Like this one the best, likely b/c doing something w/ those colors has been on my mind and seeing this makes me thing, yes, go for it :)
Also the fact that you had someone spy out the kitchen colors for an unexpected gift sounds like what I would do, so thats a great story!

Thanks! He doesn't know it yet, but he has another small surprise coming to match his table topper. Shhhhh!

I found some hard copy pictures of quilts I made many years ago and scanned them. This one is the very first bed quilt I ever made-was a twin made for my older son, Michael, and it's shown hanging over the deck railing of our house in Roy, Utah:

This was a wallhanging that was sold:

This wallhanging was made for our next door neighbor in Roy, as a going away gift when we retired from the Air Force and left Utah. It's the only picture quilt I've ever done.

I decided to try to learn how to tie a quilt in order to do some faster projects than my normal hand quilted stuff. After watching some youtubes, seemed simple enough. Got the right needles, some yarn, pieced a crib quilt, did a small swatch of practice ties, so far so good. Then, started tying the actual quilt. Didn't go as planned. Bent one needle trying to pull it through. Broke one in half. This tying thing isn't as easy as it looked, but I think I may have gotten a handle on it now-put needle with yarn all the way through before then bringing it back up through the layers, rather than trying to go down, then up like taking a regular stitch. I was about to punch big holes or put runs in my newly made quilt doing it the way they did it on the youtube videos, yikes!

Here is the quilt. The sashing and border are a blue-purple color, though that doesn't show properly in my dark house. Not sure I'll do another tied quilt after this. Guess I'll go back to the usual hand quilting with my 6-8 stitches per inch, which will take much longer than tying, but won't give me the stress of poking extra large holes in my quilt top!

ETA: After breaking four needles, literally snapping half of the eyes off, I've finally found one that seems to work much, much better, a candlewicking needle I think it is. HUGE eye, glides through easier, thicker so it won't break as easily. I'm not loving the tying thing, but at least, I think I can do it and finish this quilt. Yea!

ETA, again. DONE, except for the binding.

That is so cute Speckled! The last one I tied, I used embroidery floss versus yarn and it has held up well :)

Thanks! I did tie the Valentine wallhanging in this picture with embroidery floss. It was much easier than yarn, to thread the needle and to pull through and tie, and I used a double layer of batting to make it puffier as well, though I'm still not convinced I'll do much tying in the future, at least not on larger projects.

Back
Top Bottom