Some Origami Chickens

OMGG I NEED THIS RN that would be so cute in The middle of a resin heart on a Christmas tree. Start a business with these
I've actually wanted to try working with resin for a long time but always got worried about the fumes and never did it. I probably could do it in the spare room I have now though; upstairs, easy to seal off from the house and many windows to open. There's also some dipping thing I've heard about people doing with origami models that coats it on the outside, but I'm not sure if that's with some type of resin or something else.

You made your own pattern and everything? I am so impressed!! They are amazing!! :love I wish I had that skill.
Thanks! I've been doing folding for a really long time and coming up with my own things for most of that time. Some ideas for designs turn out quite nice and everything sort of falls into place, while others...not so much lol.

Here's the pecking hen and a standing version of it. I hope the images I'm attaching are clear enough for those who want to try it.

The instructions begin with building the bird base. If you know how to do that
from making things like the traditional crane, this part is just like that but you
have the flaps arranged a bit differently at the end.
pecking_hen_pg1_standalone.png

This is where things get a little weird. the pull out the paper step is always a hard one to show in diagramming. You'll have to lift the leg flaps up a bit to get access to the paper that needs to shift. Don't worry about exact leg placement in the steps after that; you have to adjust them later on anyway for the model to balance.
pecking_hen_pg2_standalone.png

The pleat in step 17 may sit under or over the leg flaps depending on how exactly you set them. Every model will be a bit different. Do be careful with step 20 - printer paper and small paper likes to split at the back of the wings unless you round it over at that location rather than doing a hard press flat. Only long-fiber and/or very thin papers can take a hard crease on that little area. The flaps of paper often have to slide over each other a very tiny amount there because of the layer count (if you've ever seen a traditional layered spline-drawing tool bending into a curve, it's the same sort of thing).
pecking_hen_pg3_standalone.png

And here's the version with the head up. This one is harder to balance at the end because it's on two feet and can't form a tripod with the beak.
standing_hen_pg1_standalone.png

Back
Top Bottom