1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some people are so weird about chicken germs..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by georgialee, May 19, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    MIL was here over the weekend and I brought two of the chicks out to show her. I put a towel down on the couch and let the chicks run around on it - of course they pooped immediately. She was all 'ewww how dirty. your kids are going to get sick', etc. etc. Well, the kids were in bed so that wasn't even an issue... I HATE it when people are ignorant and then act like it's the most disgusting thing in the world to have chickens in your house. Oh, and she used to own chickens (20+ yrs ago though) - I would have thought her attitude would be a little different. I just told her that no, my kids won't be rolling around in chicken poop but they WILL be playing with them and helping me care for them. I also told her that I am a firm believer in letting kids get down and dirty - it will only help their immune systems.

The whole time she was here she was nit-picking the kids (they're 1.5 and 3.5) and playing games on the computer..she never once actually played with them. What's UP with that? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's my rant for the day. Thanks for listening.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My boy friend will not take any eggs from me unless he sees me get them out of the nest that day. He saw some eggs on my kitchen counter that sat there a day or two, so no eggs for him unless he knows they are fresh!

But, he buys eggs from the store that are probably 10 days old before he gets them ! [​IMG]

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    LOL!! I am a little (VERY) opinionated about my beliefs, and one of those is that exposure to germs boosts the immune system. It drives me nuts to see the little kids at the park whose parents are always telling them NO! So what, she put some sand in her mouth... it won't hurt her!!

She is also regularly the only child in her class who doesn't catch one bug or another. Great for me! I hate getting sick!!

Great job!! Life's no fun if you worry too much!

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:[​IMG] Some people are so strange!! I was taught in my poultry science class that eggs can be stored at room temp for months without going bad. Having cold eggs just makes them a little firmer when you crack them. I would NOT recommend leaving them out in hot weather though.... [​IMG]

Before refrigeration, they would build a cold room with ice blocks, and often eggs would sit in there for 6 months or longer before they were used. Expiration dates on eggs are worthless, especially if they've been refrigerated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by