Some pullers not laying after 22 weeks

where are you from? the time of the year plays a big part in when or how often your girls lay! as the days get shorter and older, they will slow down or stop. i have two girls that have not laid their first egg yet (i have three mixed breeds who are around 25 weeks) and one that has been laying for a couple weeks, was getting an egg a day steadily until now, i only get one every few days. just hang on! their time will come

Silver Lace, though not as bad as Brahma, can be slow to lay - 4-5 months (19-24 weeks), and some Easter Eggers can be slower than that, so you could be looking at 26+ weeks. As well, the declining amount of daylight will tend to delay onset of laying... Patience. They will lay when they are ready, and not a day sooner. Your little dinosaurs follow a calendar all their own, much less predictable and reliable than we've come to expect in the modern world.

I got my 2 welsumers 4/2, one laid one egg next to her 4-yr-oold sister's 3 wks ago. Then we went from 70 degree days to 2 hard freezes (15 deg & 11 deg in 2 days) & neither has laid an egg since. Today ended day,ight savings so days short & cold. Will they lay b4 spring??

I tried to raise mealworms too!! I failed! 3 shipments, but I can’t get them going! I actually have some on the way now! I will try the lentil sprouts! I can grow things 😆 I’ll try gosh oil too! Wet or dry cat food? Thank you again!
Mealworms get a 20gallon fish tank put in plain oatmeal 1-2inches thick and put in carrots and potatoes (raw) put in mealworms and let them go change out potatoes and carrots 1x a week keep them somewhere warm not hot but warm my tank is in my basement dry cat food and the oil i only do 1x a week I do 5tbsp's lentil sprouts are super easy

Last edited:
Silver Lace, though not as bad as Brahma, can be slow to lay - 4-5 months (19-24 weeks), and some Easter Eggers can be slower than that, so you could be looking at 26+ weeks. As well, the declining amount of daylight will tend to delay onset of laying... Patience. They will lay when they are ready, and not a day sooner. Your little dinosaurs follow a calendar all their own, much less predictable and reliable than we've come to expect in the modern world.
Thank you!! I wouldn’t have been worried except for the other two who are laying!!

Mealworms get a 20gallon fish tank put in plain oatmeal 1-2inches thick and put in carrots and potatoes (raw) put in mealworms and let them go change out potatoes and carrots 1x a week keep them somewhere warm not hot but warm my tank is in my basement dry cat food and the oil i only do 1x a week I do 5tbsp's lentil sprouts are super easy
You’re the best! Thank you!!

where are you from? the time of the year plays a big part in when or how often your girls lay! as the days get shorter and older, they will slow down or stop. i have two girls that have not laid their first egg yet (i have three mixed breeds who are around 25 weeks) and one that has been laying for a couple weeks, was getting an egg a day steadily until now, i only get one every few days. just hang on! their time will come
Western New York! And yes! I wouldn’t lay an egg right now!!! It’s already cold and starting to snow!! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom