Some questions about ducks(:

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
When spring comes around I want to get a Silkie chick and a Cayuga duckling! But first I need to get info about ducks before actually getting any.

1. I heard ducks and chicks can eat chick starter as long as it's unmedicated. True?
2. When this duck is older can it eat layer feed?
3. Cayuga ducks don't fly....Right?
4. How noisy are they?

Any other info you think I need will be appreciated! :) And if you know of a quiet nonflying duck breed let me know! :) Thanks

Yes
Yes
Yes
Not sure lol. I am just getting into the cayuga so new territory for me. I dont know of a non flying quiet breed. Muscovy are the only quiet breed I know of. If you clip the wings they cant fly. I do have blue swedish that dont make alot of noise but wouldnt say quiet.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Not sure lol. I am just getting into the cayuga so new territory for me. I dont know of a non flying quiet breed. Muscovy are the only quiet breed I know of. If you clip the wings they cant fly. I do have blue swedish that dont make alot of noise but wouldnt say quiet.

When spring comes around I want to get a Silkie chick and a Cayuga duckling! But first I need to get info about ducks before actually getting any.

1. I heard ducks and chicks can eat chick starter as long as it's unmedicated. True? Correct
2. When this duck is older can it eat layer feed?Yes they can
3. Cayuga ducks don't fly....Right?They can usually fly just not very far.
4. How noisy are they?Females will be loud quack but the males are quiet

Any other info you think I need will be appreciated! :) And if you know of a quiet nonflying duck breed let me know! :) Thanks

I did have some Cayuga ducks and they could only fly for short distances and not very high. I also have call ducks which can fly, but only one flies out of their yard and always flies back.
My Cayuga female had a low pitched quack and like all my females only quack when they think I'm coming with a bowl of peas or other goodies. Call duck females are the loudest of any ducks I've had so I'm thankful they are usually quiet. As someone else mentioned, the drakes just make a sort of croaking sound which isn't very loud.

Good luck, I have 3 little call babies that just hatched and they are adorable!

Thanks and too cute!!!
I did have some Cayuga ducks and they could only fly for short distances and not very high. I also have call ducks which can fly, but only one flies out of their yard and always flies back.
My Cayuga female had a low pitched quack and like all my females only quack when they think I'm coming with a bowl of peas or other goodies. Call duck females are the loudest of any ducks I've had so I'm thankful they are usually quiet. As someone else mentioned, the drakes just make a sort of croaking sound which isn't very loud.

Good luck, I have 3 little call babies that just hatched and they are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom