Some questions from a newbie

knowvagale

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Austin, Texas
Hi guys! I recently started looking around for a pair of homers, and I've realized there is a LOT I don't know. I'm only going to be keeping two birds, and so my aviary cage is pretty small. I was looking into getting some birds from stromberg's chickens, as they seem to have the largest variety. I tried to look into birds that wouldn't have to be shipped but I had a lot of trouble finding sellers in my area. I found out that stromberg's sells birds that are 3 months to a year old, and perhaps my biggest question was this: will I be able to train those birds to home? How long should I wait before starting to let them out of their cage? Should I let them raise a family before I start letting them out? Or will them always have to be confined to a flight cage? I was also wondering if you had feed and grit recommendations, random tips etc. Here is a picture of the aviary thing I got with the dimensions. Does it look suitable?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 2.43.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 2.43.00 PM.png
    134 KB · Views: 4
I was looking into getting some birds from stromberg's chickens, as they seem to have the largest variety.
congrats on wanting pigeons! you won't regret it!

largest variety, as well as overpriced birds. Have you checked craigslist? this is how I have found all my birds. there are good birds for cheap there.
I had a lot of trouble finding sellers in my area.
craigslist! May I ask what area you are In?
I found out that stromberg's sells birds that are 3 months to a year old, and perhaps my biggest question was this: will I be able to train those birds to home? How long should I wait before starting to let them out of their cage? Should I let them raise a family before I start letting them out? Or will them always have to be confined to a flight cage?
intubate three minths, yes. Ugh that are a year, no. I would wait about three months for a young bird, and about a year for six plus month bird.

It would be great if they could raise a family before flying. It would help them bind to home. But, there are no guarantee on anything in the pigeon world.I

NEVER fly a bird you may bear to lose! Or, NEVER fly a bird you cant afford to lose.
I was also wondering if you had feed and grit recommendations, random tips etc.
any feed with 12-16% protein. They more small seeds the better. As they are easier to digest. As for grit, red grit is great! Especially when they add minerals.
Here is a picture of the aviary thing I got with the dimensions. Does it look suitable?
it does look kinda small, especially if they ever breed. They prefer horizontal space as opposed to vertical. But it would work for some time I guess.

Here's a My feed. I hope this helps!
IMG_20190202_122920.jpg

Back
Top Bottom