1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some questions kindly need answers :)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Vitoria, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Soybean meal is what feed producers in the U.S. use to up the protein % of poultry feed.I don't think its harmful in reasonable amounts. You can't feed soybeans unless processed (cooked). If sunflower seeds are reasonably available in your area, peas love them and hulled, they are a high % protein feed. If you have the time and want to take the effort to ferment their feed, fermenting makes the nutrients in grains more available to the peas, adds probiotics, and they love it.
    Isn't there a vaccine for newcastle?
    If it were me, I would give your cock another round of antibiotics and either check for parasites or worm them all. Good luck with him.

2 people like this.
  2. Vitoria

Vitoria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2015
    @trefoil Thank you for your reply. And, yes I will be buying some dog food to increase their protein level and also some barley. I will definitely check for sunflower seeds. I'm not familiar with fermenting the feed, but i will check for that as well :)

as for the vaccine for Newcastle, Yes they were vaccinated when they were chicks. Which is why I was doubtful about the vet's diagnosis and asked on here. Thank God I did.

@KsKingBee I have a new vet's contact. I will be calling her tomorrow [It's night here]. I will ask her for the fecal float exam. Thank you again.
    i JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION, regarding dog food, i went to the market, they had two kinds as you mentioned, one had soybean in its ingredients [along with corn, whole dried egg and things like that] and one had 'Meat products' written on the front. For the sake of making sure, I wanted to ask which one should i buy?

@Birdrain92 The White bits in their stool is exactly like the ones shown below. [Picture I copied from THE POOP THREAD.][​IMG]

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES AND YOUR CONCERN. You all are helpful people. God Bless you

[Will keep you updated.]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I believe that is healthy even though some parts I question but probably because I've seen worse were the bird is on the line of life and death. Especially if it's solid like this. When you were saying white bits I was thinking like dot size which could've been parasite eggs but that white is normal. If it was runny sticking to the cloaca feathers then you would have a huge problem.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Re the dog food, protein derived from meat byproducts are better because they are more easily absorbed than protein from soy. Also look for cat food with fish as the main ingredient which is even better.

1 person likes this.
  5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    This is the kkind of cat food i feed as a treat mabe once a week, no soy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and this both are very good cat foods IMO i feed it to my cats and they are beautiful
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. KsKingBee

Made me hungry just reading the ingredients.

Zaz, can you post the whole ingredient article that Kermit wrote? I am not savvy enough to do, I tried....

7. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
  8. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    All 350 comments? LOL you know if i post this it is going to cause an uproar , folks take some of this reading personally and think all comments are directed at them and that someone is referring to their bird specifically and how they feed them, rather than read it and mabe learn something they did not know , i have already dealt with folks threw PM's on just this issue , it is there for folks wanting to make a change and learn so if folks want to learn about it i welcome them to PM one of us if they have a FB and we will add them to the group.....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  9. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
  10. KsKingBee

No. He did a Whole Ingredients Method in a PDF format that I was trying to share. That 'Molting Rations' thread is a bit out there in some respects, however the reasoning behind the whole ingredients is something to think about.

I've been trying to get Kathy to come join us, but so far she has resisted coming to the 'Dark Side'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by