Some questions on Black Austrolorps

Colton

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
Western WI
I have 7 black austrolorp pullets and they are getting a lot bigger. At what age will they start laying? I think the average age is 4 months. I was also wondering if they go broody very often. I heard that they are a good all-around bird. Is that true? Do they lay light brown eggs? I also have a black austrolorp/copper maran hen/rooster. I'm not sure if it a hen or a roo. it does the wing/sideways walk thing and will mate with my older hens. The thing is it has no spurs. It is about 5 months, give or take. It hasn't attemped at crowing yet. Some help, please. One last question, I have a extremely large BA that likes to follow me around. Whenever i call her she comes a runnin
smile.png
Sometimes she and some other hens follow metoo far. How can i keep them from following me too far? I guess i have one last question, what can i give my chickens from the kitchen (Scraps, veggies, fruits)? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
big_smile.png

Post a pic of the hen/roo Austrolorp cross. Please, I love sexing chickens and roos are my favorite cause there pretty. It sounds like a rooster but you never know.

5 months if average for most chicken breeds, but it varies. for Aussies 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 months sounds correct. Aussies don't tend to go broody unless another hen is broody, however it does depend. Cochins are supposed to go broody a lot, true, our hen has gone broody and only been laying for a month, however many people have cochins who scoff at being moms. It truly depends on the line of chickens as GENETICS MATTER! That and if another hen is broody, another hen will go broody (thats why our cochin went broody I think). There are good overall around chickens, they lay good, about medium dark eggs, the roosters are meaty, and of course, beautiful. They can get over weight easy, so if you let them free range I'd suggest throwing the food on the ground for them so that they learn to forage themselves if they hadn't already.

Their extremely smart, and lovable. Hope you enjoy them!

I have 7 black austrolorp pullets and they are getting a lot bigger. At what age will they start laying? I think the average age is 4 months. I was also wondering if they go broody very often. I heard that they are a good all-around bird. Is that true? Do they lay light brown eggs? I also have a black austrolorp/copper maran hen/rooster. I'm not sure if it a hen or a roo. it does the wing/sideways walk thing and will mate with my older hens. The thing is it has no spurs. It is about 5 months, give or take. It hasn't attemped at crowing yet. Some help, please. One last question, I have a extremely large BA that likes to follow me around. Whenever i call her she comes a runnin
smile.png
Sometimes she and some other hens follow metoo far. How can i keep them from following me too far? I guess i have one last question, what can i give my chickens from the kitchen (Scraps, veggies, fruits)? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
big_smile.png
http://www.purelypoultry.com/black-australorp-chickens-p-356.html

Here he is eating his favorite snack. Sweet Corn! His name is Awesome.

Here he is again

The thing is he has no spurs whatsoever. They are just little bumps.

Nice big boy you've got there. Not all breeds get spurs until later, and since Australorps are a breed that originated with Orpingtons, I'm guessing they are like Orps in that way. Orps tend not to show much of a spur till they are well on 8 months old or more. And when they do grow out, they aren't really all that long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom