Some questions on eggs & breeds

cookiesdaddy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
California Bay Area
Hi ... first time proud daddy of a Buff Minorca, Brown Leghorn, RIR and Black Sex Link. They're about 20 weeks now and the Minorca started laying eggs a week ago. Eggs are small, but I understand they will be larger over time. True?

Also, I notice that my Buff Minorca is much smaller in size, about 5/8 the size of the Black Sex Link. Is this normal? I don't think it's a Batam.

NOW THE REAL QUESTION: I would like to add 2 more, to a total of 6 (max allowed in our city). I'm thinking about an Ameraucana and a Maran, to get some interesting egg colors. According to this chart http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html, these two breeds lay fewer eggs than the typical RIRs or Leghorns. For those that have Ameraucanas and Marans, do you find this as true? To us, egg production and chicken temperament are important factors to consider. I'd like to get all the facts and then let the children decide.

Thanks for your help!

I don't really know about the egg production part. But if you are looking for ones with a great temperament and good with kids, i would suggest a Silkie or a Turken. Those are great with my kids. My kids are 13, 6 and 3. They get tugged, carried, pushed in carts, dressed up like babies and strangly enough they hardly mind at all.LOL

Jennifer

Back
Top Bottom