Some type of respiratory problem

chickenlittle32

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Rayne Louisiana
I know it is some type of respiratory thing...but what exactly could it be...

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
MIXED AGES, AND SOME OF MY MIXED FLOCK

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
SNEEZING, RUNNY NOSE, AND A FEW YOUNGER CHICKS (the hens hatched these) WITH CLOSED EYE

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
NO

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I HAVE NO IDEA

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. ALL EATING AND DRINKING NORMALLY...FOOD IS STARTER GROWER AND LAYER...WATER WITH DURAMYCIN NOW...

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, ALL LOOK NORMAL

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? FIRST STARTED WITH VETRX...IT DIDNT SEEM TO HELP SO I NOW STARTED DURAMYCIN IN THE WATER...(advised by Glenda)

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I DONT HAVE A VET THAT DEALS WITH POULTRY AROUND ME SO HOPEFULLY I CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM MYSELF

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use PINE SHAVINGS ON COOP FLOOR..WITH LIME MIXED IN...LARGE RUN...(about 30 x 60 ft run) STRAW IN THE NESTS

From what you said, especially the symptoms, you have MG in your
flock. YOU MUST CLOSE OFF YOUR FLOCK NOW FROM OTHER BIRDS.

They can live almost normal chicken lives with this but can also
spread it to outside flocks.

Call your state's agricultural office and find your state vet.

good advice and I made the same diagnosis

she can call Dr Petr Brown at First state vet
First State Vet Supply - Home of the Chicken Doctor - Online Store... First State · My Account · Cart Contents · Checkout ... Copyright
00a9.png
2008 First State Vet Supply Powered by Shorefast Internet.
www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/ - Cached - Similar

He will have a medication that will help the MG

she has got baby chicks coming so she will have to live with this and decide what she is to do

By the time most people get the thing in porportion to the seriousness it has spread to the others
I advised to do the putting clorox in a flat tray type thing and stepping in and out of the tray after doing each pens chores

also the sick ones last and not wearing the clothes to their pen and to others

biosecurity is neccessary here

I also advised the wet mash probiotic to try and get good gut flora for her birds

She no doubt will call Dr Brown and talk to him

I think that Lousiana has the state vet service
Possibly the NPIP can help her get blood tests

I do hope she can survive this and the chickens also.

Back
Top Bottom