1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some type of tick? Louse? Mite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QueenMisha, Dec 8, 2015.

1. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hello there everyone. I picked up some new birds today (3 Cornish and a D'Anvers). They are beautiful birds and the picture of health but I did notice some type of parasite on the D'Anvers. They appear to be very small ticks, about the same size as your average fowl mite. They are dark brown/black. I think I can see tiny legs. They are all bitten into the D'Anvers facial skin, earlobes, and wattles. I poked a few and they had no reaction. They just hang there like a tick on a dog.

Advice on treatment? Any idea what they are?

I'll post pictures when I get home.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do an on site search on 'stick tight fleas'. This may be what you are dealing with. Threads have recommendations for treatment.

3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I there's also what they call here deer tics. Tiny little things.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yes, that's them. Yikes. Looks like I'm in for a hassle. Better set up a hefty quarantine now, I don't want those buggers anywhere near my flock. Glad I caught that early.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by