Somebody enlighten me!!!!!

Oh don't worry im happy with the girls!!!! they are producing nicely and my roos are getting buffer every day. It was just one of those " why do they do that" things that struck me. Guess i'll chalk it up with the rest of the "why do they do that" questions i have. Guess its a type of housekeeping they do. I will try the carpet or matting trick to see if that cuts down on the cracked eggs.

I use hay in the boxes and don't change it as often as the bedding on the floor. When I do change it, I put A LOT in knowing they will have to work to get it into the chicken belly shape they like. The orps make a area in each box for themselves, then the OEGS make little areas off to the back for themselves.

Probably because chickens would normally nest on the ground in a soft spot. Without nest boxes they'll find a spot of deep bedding in the coop or soft dirt outside and scratch an indent to lay their eggs in. Problem is wooden frames restrict the depth so when they instinctually scratch to make an indent for the egg they hit wood instead of more soft dirt or shavings.

Back
Top Bottom