Somebody gave me their 10 yr old Mallard gray duck…I’m clueless how to handle this situation

Kandace Edgar

Chirping
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hello all! Ok so I was asked if I wanted a 10 year old Mallard duck. Without hesitation I said YES I WANT HIM! Lol, ok so now I’ve gotten him home, he’s a senior duck, only has 1 eye due to an altercation with a dog in previous years, not exactly sure when, but all in all he seems healthy and fine. Now here’s where I need help. He does have a nice big pen to stay in while all my chickens and turkeys get used to the new member of the flock, afterwards when the new wears off he’ll be allowed to free range with everyone else I hope with no incidents, he also has a swimming pool with a ramp in his pen for now and all my birds get snacks like watermelon, grapes, lettuce, sunflower seeds,…u get the picture, they’re all pretty spoiled around here lol. But since the duck was with other owners for so long, I feel like he’s incredibly scared and lonely. Yesterday he was loving the pool cuz apparently it’s been a very long time since he’s been in one, the other person who had him isn’t exactly overly attentive, or very attentive at all. So I don’t feel like he’s been taken care of very well through the years. But I want to make this duck very comfortable and do whatever I can do to make this transition easy for him since today he’s stayed in the duck house a lot and hasn’t wanted to do much like walk around the pen and check stuff out and he’s not really interested in the other birds today either like he was yesterday. I do know all of everything is brand new for him since he lived in the city in a tiny enclosure and we live way out n the country with land to roam on for days so I’m sure it’s a lot of shock but is there anything I should be doing to help him settle in better and help him just relax through all of the new normal for him? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks a lot y’all!! -Kandace

Maybe try humane society for a friend for your little drake I am assuming drake? since you called him?
Also craiglist. Facebook also has poultry groups. I think there is a name but I don't do FB. Maybe you can find an older duck to go with this one.
Bless you for adopting him and giving him a great new life. You might want to clip one wing before letting him out with everyone so he doesn't fly off and get lost. I have 10-11-and 14yr old Muscovy and they are doing great so hopefully, you'll have this little one for many years to come. And pictures are always welcome.

I wouldn't bring in a young drake because he may just be too dominant for an older drake.
That’s the main thing I was worried about since he is so much older and I’ve never had ducks so it’s all new for me but I’m on the hunt for a companion now! Hopefully I’ll have some luck in the days to come! And Thank you! I’m so happy he’s got a better life here as well, my heart broke when I saw what conditions he was living in and so I’m determined to spoil him And his companions since I’m on a mission to get him some friends🥰

Yes yes yes ! Already One step ahead of ya!! n the process of trying to find him and an older lady friend to hang out with!! But if I can’t find a senior duck will a younger one be just fine? And will it matter if it’s make or female?
I would stick with females. Older or younger shouldn't matter if you only get him girlfriends.

Ok thank you! I don’t think he’s ever been around a female his entire life. And previous owner just recently got a younger male duck and he did ok with him but I’m sure he was so glad to finally have some company! From what I understand he’s been alone his whole life up until the last few months when owner got a few chickens and another young male duck all cramped into a tiny dog pen beside his house with nothing but a few boxes for chickens to roost on at nite…and since he’s never been in water, does the water help with things like arthritis or leg injuries because this sweet duck has something wrong with his left foot, he limps and falls over if he gets in a hurry or steps on something he didn’t see, so I try to keep him relaxed so he doesn’t hurt himself. And I also help him in and out of the pool since he’s never been in one or used a ramp because in my brain I feel like the floating takes pressure off his legs and feet?! We’ve got a vet appt with a vet 2 hours away this week since we don’t have a local that handles chickens, ducks, etc…

Have you looked at the bottom of his foot for an injury or bumble foot? any swelling or extra heat coming for anywhere along the leg or foot?
Yes floating in water does take pressure off the legs.

let us know what the vet says. If the vet diagnoses arthritis he should be able to also prescribe anti-inflammatory for him.

Back
Top Bottom