Someone Complained, Chickens Must Go -- Joliet, IL

When there exists a discrepancy in the Ordinance, the law favors the Homeowner.
Also, as I stated before, check the revision to see if anything was added.
If they added (d) and you had them prior to the enactment of the new Ordinance, you are grandfathered.
PS (I am a Zoning Officer in PA)

Personally, I would let them cite you, and go to a hearing.
That being said, you are talking a risk that the court will go against you and you will have to pay the fine. I think the risk is very small and unlikely, but it exists.
The courts usually will give you time to correct, without imposing the fine, especially if they see you have a decent argument and you were not trying to ignore the order. Its clear you have been trying to work it out with the Municipality.
That has been my experience, but I do not want to give you false hopes

You might want to consult a lawyer with Zoning experience. Most will give yo a quick consult very inexpensively.

I know what you mean Agrippina, my girls bring me so much joy as Im sure yours do.Have you spoke to your parents about it? would they stand by you if it went to a hearing? You know you have the support of everyone here, Hopefully your petition will cause them to clarify the laws and allow you to keep your beloved girls x

Just linked your petition to my facebook account hopefully can get more signatures even if they are in UK x
big_smile.png

I'm from the Finger lakes region of New York State but I signed your petition. Please keep us all posted. I live out in the country but went to the town hall where my son lives as my grandson wanted a couple hens at his house. I was told no, no farm animals, not limited to but including, RABBITS. Can you believe it? Must be the thumping can get too loud. She said that they are overlooking the rabbits right now but could enforce that also.
My hens are not the pets that my cats and dogs are but they give us so much enjoyment plus breakfast. Good luck to you. Did I mention that she also said no pigeons?

I just signed. Is there anyway you could request a hearing and maybe we can get people from all over the state to come in support? Having 3 chickens are in no way a bother to people. I live in the city and have way more then that. For crying out loud Joilet, Illinois is an agricultral state. To not allow chickens is just plain stupid. Please dont stop fighting. I hate government. Thomas Jefferson said the Constitution was written for the government to fear the poeple not the people to fear the government.

I just signed. Is there anyway you could request a hearing and maybe we can get people from all over the state to come in support? Having 3 chickens are in no way a bother to people. I live in the city and have way more then that. For crying out loud Joilet, Illinois is an agricultral state. To not allow chickens is just plain stupid. Please dont stop fighting. I hate government. Thomas Jefferson said the Constitution was written for the government to fear the poeple not the people to fear the government.

That's why they're starting to write Thomas Jefferson out of school books!

I have been reading through the ordinances and I can not find where they are stating that you can no longer keep your chickens. Could you please provide the ordinance they are citing which puts you in violation?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom