Someone has got to know why my chick smells sour

That's is why I have my concerns about using meds. Have you experienced the yeasty smell in any of your flock, without other symptoms?

Never experienced the smell in mine, but did have to treat two for yeast. Have you looked into the mouth of this chick? Sometimes you can see the yeast.

-Kathy

I cannot get her to open her mouth for me and I don't want to hurt her. I will try to catch a glance when she's cheeping.

That is very helpful, thank you! Now I have to figure out how to get a good look. I just ordered some Big Ole Bird probiotics from Southland Organics, which should be here within 3 days hopefully. I can put that in all their water, and am praying that will resolve the issue. I cannot find any vets that see chickens around here which is strange considering we live in a semi-rural area.

That is very helpful, thank you! Now I have to figure out how to get a good look. I just ordered some Big Ole Bird probiotics from Southland Organics, which should be here within 3 days hopefully. I can put that in all their water, and am praying that will resolve the issue. I cannot find any vets that see chickens around here which is strange considering we live in a semi-rural area.
Try searching for a vet with these links:

-Kathy

Great news! She no longer smells odd! I used raw ACV in their water for 11 days and she is all better. I was never able to check inside her mouth or verify what was wrong, but I am so thankful she appears to be back to normal. Also, they have finally been able to get outside, so maybe the sun, fresh air and bugs helped.

The smell is back! I cannot figure this out. After she seemed better I gave her some probiotics for chickens for 3 days( the recommended dose) and shortly after the yeasty smell has returned. Once in a while I cannot smell it on her, but mostly it seems like it's coming from her crop or lungs. I started with thenACV again, but nothing has changed. It seems strange to me that no one else seems to,have experienced this like we have.

Maybe you just have an extra sensitive sniffer?
Honestly, I never get close enough to my birds mouth to smell their breath to know how one smells compared to another.
It might just mean she has a different bioload than the others, if she's not sick I wouldn't worry about it.

It is the strangest thing. Sometimes I can smell it coming from her when she's not even close. It is definitely coming from her nostrils. Sometimes it is really strong, sometimes you have to get close to her face to smell it. And I am at a loss trying to figure it out. I am not sure, but it could be worse when she's been running around vs. sitting quietly, but it can come and go in minutes. It's not just me, the kids wouldn't even hold her when it first started because she smelled so bad.

Back
Top Bottom