SOMEONE is killing my hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by am040608, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Well there's a thought.

I find this whole thing rather perplexing. I have some ideas, but don't want anyone to go to jail.

2. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    Well.... if we accept that it is a person, it is probably a young person.... or at least an immature person, and killing animals is a precursor to much worse things which is why I speculate disturbed.... And statistically it is most probably a male. And if young it is probably someone from nearby.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. am040608

am040608 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2015
    FINLEY WA
    I scald the bird and removed her feathers to look for bites or marks. I didnt find anything :/

4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Do you have anyone in your neighborhood into voodoo?[​IMG]

5. am040608

May 31, 2015
    FINLEY WA
    We have a baby monitor. Ill do that.
    We dont have foxes out here. We do have coyotes but they have never come down the hills that I'veever seen. I can only hear them in the latenight.
    What predators would attack in daylight?
    I do try and turn the coop bedding daily to keep anything out. Ive never seen anything in it before. Its quite cold though, something may have last night.
    Could an opossum break a large hens neck?
    Id feel so much better if i were an animal. I just dont see how the same could have done both birds. They havent been bothered once in the entire 9 months ive had them out here.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote:

[​IMG]

Did the photos look like this? The raptor in this image is a falcon and falcons are unlikely chicken predators but they butcher their vittles similar to the way that all raptors butcher their meat.

7. am040608

May 31, 2015
    FINLEY WA

Ive heard that there are in the hills. But most folks dont even keep their chickens in any sort of enclosed space or a run. They just roam freely. Its not uncommon to stop your car for a chicken in the road. Even my neighbors sheep are often found grazing in my yard or inspecting my front door step (they are all raised by hand indoors). I'm quite honestly at a loss for why someone would target the ones behind a large fence if that were the reason.

8. am040608

May 31, 2015
    FINLEY WA
    I can post it, but Id hate to upset anyone.

9. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    If it were an animal, that certainly would be alot better..... I sympathize. If it did turn out to be a young neighbor, that would be very scary. You probably should call the sheriff or police just to get their opinion.

I have a friend who had a young boy in his neighborhood that was killing pets. He was at first quite careless about it, but then he got sneakier. He moved away much to my friends relief.

10. am040608

May 31, 2015
    FINLEY WA

Unfortunately I do have my suspicions who it might be. The night before the first chicken was killed the closest neighbors wife knocked on our door asking if we had seen their small Chihuahua mix. She had let him out at 2:30 in the morning and he never came home. He liked to snoff in our yard but he was small and harmless. She said her teenage son was very upset over the missing dog. The first hen was killed the next day. The other the following day.
    Im wondering if he thinks we have his dog?
    New years he threw fireworks from his moving vehicle at our patio where I was sitting. I got the idea he was a bit of a punk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by