Someone needs to write a book here!

HobokenChickenEmergency

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Evansville
I've been checking out Amazon for quail books. Technical would be great, but even light reading would be ok. By technical, I mean nuts-and-bolts stuff, written by experts (like some of you guys, for instance!). I thought it would be nice to have a book to refer to, rather than jumping online every time I have a question.

Instead, I found this:

"The effects of blindness and complete darkness on the testis weight and testicular cholesterol concentration of the laboratory mouse and Japanese quail, Coturnix coturnix japonica", by Alexander Thomas McCulloch.

Say what? Someone was bored in 1974, and decided to study quail nuts?
duc.gif

Or this gem:

"Sensitivity of expression of perivitelline membrane glycoprotein ZP1 mRNA in the liver of Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) to estrogenic compounds [An ... Biochemistry and Physiology, Part C]" by A.M. Hanafy, T. Sasanami, and M. Mori.

Assuming that my quails' livers were "expressing" whatever-the-heck-that-is, I doubt I would know about it.
sickbyc.gif

There are SOME books on that would be great to have, but most are out of print.
barnie.gif
Or else they're selling for $210.00, like this one:

"Raising coturnix quail for eggs and meat", by Marc Podems.

$210!! Is this book gold-plated?

At the library, I've found 2 books on bobwhites. That's all. What's the deal here?

People have told me to write a book on coturnix and that always has been a dream of mine to make a book, but I dunno if im cut out for it and i'd have to do a TON more research.
th.gif
LOL

What if I made a book about the info I already offer for free with silky photopages of some of the many colors? It might sitll be expensive that way but it'd be fun I could do that! (and add more info along the way)! LOL!

And $210 sounds like a scam to me. I am pretty sure I saw that ad online (his website) and I dont trust it. LOL

Last edited:
Oddly enough.... for my AS I had to write a children's book and get it bound and finished, it was less than $5 for the book to be done. I'f you want pm me and I'll walk you thru the steps (Yes I have notes from 4 years of college still
roll.png
)

I agree. I found that same $210 book when I was looking for *anything* relevant to quail raising. Must have been Elvis' personal copy. I am in the final editing stages of another livestock-related book that will be going to the publisher this summer, and have talked with the publisher folks about doing one in the fall that would include a section on coturnix. It would be very basic info (housing, feeding, lighting, laying, incubating, basic group dynamics, butchering), but I think that would at least be a start. Maybe in couple of years when we all have tons of experience solving every quail issue someone (Monarc) could do a really nice detailed book that covers everything from beginners to advanced including all of the genetics info and a bunch of stuff that probably hasn't even come up yet.

Quote:
My gosh! LOL I just spent over an hour doing a quail photo shoot AND IM NOT DONE
th.gif
Im done for the day though!!! In between the heat and the birds not striking all the perfect poses right that second I took over 100 pictures and have deleted them down to about 8....
th.gif
Yeah it's gonna be slow.... but yep... I even talked to my mom about it she thinks its awesome and she thinks i should try ot get it published. I dunno if I wanna go that far.... i dont *need* to right? I can just offer the Coturnix manuals for sale to anyone who wants to buy it right? Like a pamplet but in book style?
lau.gif

You do KNOW saddina, you're gonna need to be my editor!
lau.gif

Quote:
LOL I have no clue. Its going to have mostly basic care info in it, as well as illistrations of some of the colors you can find in the US, butchering, recipies etc, with reasons why people should consider them for a multi purpose bird.

Maybe "Coturnix, Multi-Purpose"
lau.gif

Quote:
LOL I have no clue. Its going to have mostly basic care info in it, as well as illistrations of some of the colors you can find in the US, butchering, recipies etc, with reasons why people should consider them for a multi purpose bird.

Maybe "Coturnix, Multi-Purpose"
lau.gif

I like it!

Back
Top Bottom