Someone please do this to resolve the humidity question!

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
I want someone to take a small temperature/ humidity reader and place it under your broody hen for a couple of minutes and tell us what it says! I think that will tell us for sure what it is supposed to be!

Quote:
Well, I sure hope they show up here soon and tell us because I'm having a terrible time getting eggs to hatch. I've tried three times now and no success. But, after the latest try I'm becoming convinced it's a humidity problem. I had the wells at the bottom full and a bowl of water in there too and still all I got out of 8 eggs was 6 that had what looked to be fully developed but dead chicks when I broke them open after finally giving up that they were going to hatch. The membranes were pretty tough and thick and I had to use my fingernail to break them so what chance did the poor little things have? I'm new to incubating but I think that is caused by low humidity from what I read somewhere.

But, the worst part is the incubator was a birthday gift for my little granddaughter back in January and I've been trying to hatch them for her. So, what I thought would bring her fun and joy has turned out to bring her disappointment three times now and I just feel rotten about it. Today I feel like a bad grandmother and a chicky murderer too!!!
sad.png

GrannyPat

Well what was your humidity during your hatch? If you don't already have one you need to get a humidty reader, its amazing what just a little water will do or not do to your hatch

I have 2 lgs and one Hova and what I have been doing for the last year is filling up the two outside wells and on the last three days I fill up all three. I only had a problem when I let them hatch in the same incubator, because the water gets nasty and will not evaporate.I think using the eggs cartons will solve this problem and am going to use them in my next hatch. I have never used anything to check the humidity, because I did not know I had to until I read alot of posts here. I am trying to hatch duck and goose eggs now and I just started watching the humidity. I have had many many successful hatches this way. I hope you will get a hatch soon!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is the kinds of things I need to know! There is so much information on that ginormous thread i just want someone to summarize it for me! Does that make me too lazy to read the whole thing? yeah maybe!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom