Someone please help me asap.

I would take him to a vet in a heartbeat if I could, but my parents don't want to spend the money on a chicken. They mean more to me than they do to them. Would you have an estimate of how much it would be?

I would take him to a vet in a heartbeat if I could, but my parents don't want to spend the money on a chicken. They mean more to me than they do to them. Would you have an estimate of how much it would be?
Most office visits are $45-$65 plus any lab work, medications, supplies, procedures, etc, so not cheap. Most people, myself included, will not take their chicken to the vet, so don't feel bad. If you decide to euthanize, who is going to do it?

-Kathy

I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
I agree with all these posters in that he probably has Mareks.

I think it is best you put him down. I recently had a BR Hen put down that was internally laying. They gave her a sedative to keep her at ease and then administered the juice into the jugular. She went more peaceful than one can imagine. The entire thing cost me $35 at the vets office.

I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
I agree with all these posters in that he probably has Mareks.

I think it is best you put him down. I recently had a BR Hen put down that was internally laying. They gave her a sedative to keep her at ease and then administered the juice into the jugular. She went more peaceful than one can imagine. The entire thing cost me $35 at the vets office.
Sorry about your hen. Nice that you have the option of euthanasia at the vet for such a good price. My last one was $60 for just the euthanasia.... would have been more, but they were feeling generous and waived the office visit/exam fee.

Another option for humane euthanasia might be at animal control or a low cost spay and neuter clinic.

-Kathy

Quote: Thanks Kathy. I did everything I could for this hen, but I just couldn't save her. And I didn't have the heart to put her down myself so I took her in.

Oddly enough, this vet is only a Cat and Dog vet and I had called him in the past about ANY local vets that might treat poultry. He could only refer me to this country vet lady that is SO backed up and full all the time, she never gets back to you...she is ALWAYS out on the road to these cattle ranches and such. Anyway, this last time I took one last chance and called over to this vet, my dog's vet, and I was SUPER elated when the receptionist came back with..."we recently hired a vet assistant that is a poultry expert!!!!" Well,
woot.gif
I was dancing on the ceiling!! Ha!

Anyway, they were SUPER fantastic with my Hermie. The assistant gave her a sedative and let that kick in. Hermie sat on the table as peaceful as she could be. When she was super tired and nearly out, the Vet came and laid her down and plucked feathers from the jugular area and delicately stuck the needle right into the jugular. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. 10 seconds later she peacefully stopped breathing. No thrashing or gagging or anything. I have NEVER seen a bird go so peacefully in my life!! AND I owe it all to this new assistant lady, she has OBVIOUSLY been teaching him a thing or two about poultry. LOL She said she has indeed been getting him to learn more about birds so that the locals with poultry can come to a vet and get meds and such if needed. She herself keeps chickens, turkeys, peafowl and pheasants. She was trying to pawn off some turkey poults on me when I was there. LOL

But wow, I was SUPER happy with how they put her down and WILL be back to use their services again on my poultry and not just for my dog.

I am currently calling around to find the cheapest price and I just called this local one and they are willing to do it for only $25. I'm really happy because I feel it's the most humane way, very peaceful, and I can be with him.

Thank you guys so much for all of your kind words. This is heartbreaking but I'm glad he'll be going to the vet where I'll try and comfort him as it happens. He's been an amazing rooster, very proud of his flock and his son, Bruno will now be taking over for him. We will give him a nice burial and will be respected like any living being should before his time comes.

I am currently calling around to find the cheapest price and I just called this local one and they are willing to do it for only $25. I'm really happy because I feel it's the most humane way, very peaceful, and I can be with him.
Glad you found an affordable place. I'm sure you will find it far less traumatic than what most people do.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Me, too ! And definitely.. my Dad had offered to shot him with our 22, or snap his neck... None of it felt right, though..
Thank you for your support Kathy.
hugs.gif
Both those ways work, but then they flap around for a couple of minutes, which I always find disturbing. At the vet he will get a shot and should just go to sleep, though he might twitch a little, but it's much easier to watch than the other. Again, {{{{{ hugs }}}}}

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom