Someone stop me...

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
It remains to be seen if the AA and AD eggs under Millie hatch this weekend, but I have my doubts, since at last candling they just didn't look like anything the pictures say they should. (My two prior attempts with RIR eggs didn't work out either:()
At noon today, the mini-UFO incubator on my desk showed a temperature of of only 90 degrees and I don't know how long it was that low:mad: (last I checked was 100 degrees at around 10 last night - I'm not turning the eggs now, so I missed checking it this morning.)
I had ordered some hatching eggs which I know shipped out on Monday, but as of today (Thursday pm) they have not arrived and I can only imagine that by now, they have frozen in transit.

So this evening, I sat and caught up my reading on this forum, feeling less than confident in my hatching abilities, and then I gave in....
roll.png

I just ordered 5 each from McMurray: Buff Orpinton, Black Australop, Araucana, Partrige Rock, and Barred Rock (is that BO, BA, A, PR, and BR in chick-speak?). I really only wanted 2 each, but of course, 25 is minimum. Anybody nearby that would like the extras,(they're all females)?
big_smile.png
If not, I think I will post a note at the local feed store. Then again, didn't someone once say something about not counting something until something else...
tongue.png

The chicks are due next week and the temps will be up. I'm going to call my post office and put them on notice, can't imagine they have much experience with getting live chicks, so I'm going to make sure they call me right away. In the meantime, the brooders are getting warmed up in the guest room...

And to think, all I had wanted was a few companions for Millie! If these day-olds make it, I'm going to calculate how much they actually cost when I factor in the fertile eggs, incubators, egg turner, brooders, shipping...all for maybe 8-10 hens!!!LOL...no one tell my husband!!!!
lol.png

Oh ya, I know all about it. I give most of my eggs to family and friends. They only cost me prolly 5.00/doz to produce. But it's all about the love.........

bigzio

Someone stop me...

You want us to stop you??
24.gif

You came to BackyardChicken forum asking for us to discourage you from getting chickens?
lolig.gif

You're kidding, right???

teapot.gif

If you find you don't want to keep all the chicks, you should have no problem finding someone who wants some of them. The sign at the feed store will be all that is required. This is the time of year. Try to take a cute picutre of the bunch and post that on you sign. Chicks are irresistable. Good luck with them.

50 chicks can be had almost for the same price as 25. Selling the excess is a good way to finance the startup costs.

smile.png

ROFL

Honey, I went and got 200+ chicks for a friend yesterday and shipped them to her. The hatchery doesn't ship. I was just being helpful, right?
lol.png

Then I came home with 15 buff orp pullets and 25 free males the hatchery gave me. I sent 10 of the orps I bought in her box as she wanted to buy any extras.

I brought my aunt the 7 Sumatras and one australorp I hatched for her over a month ago, thinking I needed brooder space.

When I realized how much space I had left, I ordered 25 self blue cochin chicks from Ideal.

big_smile.png
Yeah, I'll help you...right over that cliff of "whoops! too late!"
tongue.png

Oh yeah....that's where I am now... over the edge and well on my way past too late!!
lol.png

Just so you all know I have joined the ranks of Hachaholics Anonymous.
More proof: yesterday I made a second brooder out of a large kitty litter box and old lamp
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom