Someone wants to buy Rusty/Used Nails

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Dec 30, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I am in the process of having an aviary built for my peacocks and I was telling the person who is building it that it's a shame that someone or some company couldn't use the old, used nails that we are pulling out of the recycled pallets that we are using. We have tons of nails from taking the nails out of the pallets. Well, it just so happened, that I was reading the ads in our local newspaper and what did my wondering eyes see. [​IMG] There it was.......An ad from a guy looking TO BUY rusty/used nails. I couldn't believe it. I try to recycle as much as I can but who knew that someone would want to buy used nails. Does anyone know why he is wanting to buy used nails? What can someone do with used nails?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perhaps rusty old nails are worth something as scrap metal if you have enough of them. Or perhaps a fancy art project. I mean, there is all kind of weird fashion and art things that people do. right?

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Don't ask questions, just sell 'em the rusty nails! [​IMG]

Seriously, though, the scrap metal idea is a possibility, or some sort of project they're working on.

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

One good use for old rusted bolts, metal scraps and nails is to put a couple of handfuls in the planting hole of a tree or shrub that likes extra iron. An old teacher of mine (a soils expert) told me that the rusty nails and old metal scraps help the trees grow better and need less fertilizer in low iron soils. You should see pines and redwoods he planted 30 years ago. Another use is for crafts and rustic projects....One man's junk is another's treasure [​IMG]

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Does your area have old buildings that would have handmade nails? That might be something they are looking for.

You can use a dremel to clean rusty nails up, but you'd have to be a lunatic to do so - or have some VERY old valuable antique nails, ROFL. I can't imagine antique nails EVER being that valuable, but who knows.

I suspect they are selling for scrap. I'd rather walk the street & pick up cans.

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Maybe they are making pipe bombs and used nails are the schrapnel. Just kidding!

8. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Look, okay, I wanted to grind them into my husbands coffee but I wanted to make sure it couldn't be traced back to me. So could you sell me the darned nails already?

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:mmmm...grinded nail coffee!!! yummers!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:mmmm...grinded nail coffee!!! yummers!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

How diabolical LOL!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by