something amazing happened!

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
I am so eggcited!
celebrate.gif
I have 9 EE's and 3 BO's 7 week old chicks. a friend gave them to me when they were a week old so they are straight run but that's another thread I think
roll.png
. Anyway, I went out to check on them because I am obsessed with my chickies and one of the babies had a bloody butt. So I brought her in the house, inspected and found that someone had picked her tail feathers out and it was bleeding. so I gently cleaned the butt with plain warm water, patted it dry and sprayed some Blue Kote on it. I went through the same thing yesterday with another one except she had a large area on her back picked. When I brought her back out I stayed a while to make sure everything was all right. It was so funny, all the other 11 went up to her and it seemed like they were tasting the Blue Kote, found it not to their liking and they left her alone. So today, I decided to stay out for a few minutes and every time I'm out there I pick up one or two and pet them to get them used to me and not run around like crazy chickens every time I approach. So I picked up one of the BO's and she calmed down pretty good, in fact, I think she was starting to fall asleep in my lap! I put her down and picked up another one and started petting her and the BO jumped up in my lap and stayed there for about 2 minutes!
wee.gif
love.gif
woot.gif
. I guess my patience is paying off, they are FINALLY getting a little friendly so I'll keep doing what I'm doing! This might not sound like a lot for a bunch of you, but for me, that little chicken jumping up in my lap was AMAZING! (Can you tell these are my first babies??)
lau.gif
gig.gif

That's good news!

Mine are a little over two weeks old - they practically line up when I approach the brooder to be the first to be picked up - the Light Brahma and Buff Orpington, especially.

I've heard they can get stand-offish as teenagers, though, so maybe yours were going through a phase?

I don't think it was a phase, they were extremely skittish from the day I brought them home when they were a week old so I'm thinking this is huge!
yippiechickie.gif

Congrats. Those BO's can be real honeys.... Now I've got a little Ancona that I've got to get tamed... more skittish than a legorn!

birds are my life too and I never would have thought that six or seven years ago! they are the best! and i don't just mean chickens if you check out my signature! haven't had time to add the chickies to it!
love.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom