Something broke into my coop

centavo71

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
Northern Alberta
For the first time in the three years of having chickens, something broke into my coop - the outside run part. It ripped the bottom boards off and I still don't know if I am missing any birds b/c we are all (me and the chickens) freaked out. My dog is freaking right out. I am thinking it is a bear - we had a Grizzly back there last year. What would a bear do? I guess i am wondering bc I don't see any evidence of dead chickens - would a bear take it away? Ack ack ack...I don't LIKE this!

Deep breaths....go back out there and gather the birds....you will be fine...bear is probably long gone...

Well, I got them all back inside. Shot off a bear banger or 3, dog has settled down...fixed the fence...I guess now we are supposed to calm down. lol

Unless there are some lurking around that I don't know about, I don't think I have bears here which leads to the question: What's a "bear banger"? Does it just make noise, or repel them some other way?

I had a friend who was battling a bear not too long ago.. he (or she) basically ripped the side off of the barn. They were able to fire off some warning shots and it lumbered away. They patched up the hole and for whatever reason it didn't come back. I would imagine that if it's a giant hole with claw marks then you are probably dealing with a bear. If it's a smaller area that's been ripped off then it's more like a raccoon (or whatever you have there in Alberta).

Centavo71--Did you find out what broke into your run yet? Do you have all your chickens? Hope all is well today..?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom