Something internal hanging out after predator attack

abientot

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2023
Eagle, ID
We have a 3yo hen that was attacked this morning by a ground predator. We think maybe a fox. She has been acting 100% normal all day (eating, foraging, etc.) and had no obvious injuries other than some missing tail feathers. Tonight we were able to give her a closer look over and found a wound under her wing with something yellowish from
her insides hanging out. We sprayed with Vetericyn but have no idea what else to do. We have no poultry vet available. Please help. 💔

IMG_4482.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

Ok, i had a similar issue but mine did not have a yellow thing hanging out, it was just a large wound under wing. I will tell you the treatment for mine and experts can verify if this will work for your bird as i am no expert.

I used vetericyn and applied terramycin, i hear neosporin works great but make sure there is no pain killers.

It looks like she got very lucky with her cut there, as it could have been much worse. I will tell you what i do know for a fact. Do not keep her with the flock. She may act fine and eat well but she could either be hiding it to act healthy (they do that to avoid bullying from flockmates) or it could get pecked from the other chickens, and saving you the details i’m sure you can imagine what would happen next as they are very attracted to the color red or strange things that appear to be food.

Separate her, if you can, keep her in a small crate, maybe in your house, or somewhere cozy, low stress. As long as she is separated. Avoid adding shavings or dirt to make sure it doesn’t get infected, try to go with a blanket or something soft, and give food and water. Suturing may have to be done as thats what needed to be for mine however yours looks like it might heal on its own.

I’m very sure @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock could help more then me.

I'm sorry about your hen.

To me, it looks like a bit of fat.

I'd clean the wound really well. Saline is good or I prefer Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens).
You may want to trim the feathers from the wound so it stays a bit cleaner and those don't stick in ointment so badly. Triple antibiotic (a thin layer) on the wound would be good.

Keep her hydrated and eating.

@Wyorp Rock This is how the wound looks tonight (6 days after attack). Does it look like it is healing okay? This pic was taken after Injad sprayed it with Vetericyn and before I re-packed it with triple antibiotic ointment? At what point would it be okay to re-integrate her with the flock? I’m afraid she’s going to be depressed after staying by herself in the crate for so long.

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpeg
    IMG_4617.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 7
It's looks to be healing o.k.

You may want to take her out and let her visit with the flock daily, monitor to see if the others are picking at her.
She will likely take a dust bath and get the wound dirty again, so you'll want to try to rinse it.
Hard to know when to fully re-introduce her. I have left wounded birds with their flock from the get go and they did fine (monitoring the wound twice a day and cleaning as needed). Some I have kept separated out. It really all depends on how you want to work it.
If you do put her back and then see for any reason you feel the wound is getting infected, she's getting worse, etc., pull her back out immediately and begin intensively treating her again.

Back
Top Bottom