Something is getting my chickens!!

Quote:
Ditto:

36435_threevarmints.jpg

36435_maskedthief.jpg

36435_possum.jpg

36435_slyfox.jpg

A cheaper way to go is to get an electric fence set-up from your local farm/feed store. I found one for less then the cost of a Hav-a-Heart trap. You can run it a few inches off the ground and attach it to plastic stick in the ground short poles supplied just for that purpose. Attach the wire to the two attachment poles on the front of the instrutment and plug it in. I looked at some units that said you could run up to 10 miles of wire. So, you could also purchase a few extra insulaters and have an extra line run somewhere up on the fence also by using different type insulators. It won't kill the preditor that touches it, but you need to be sure to put it far enough away from the run that the chickens can't peck at it through the fence. It only takes one time for the coons to learn that frogs and crawdads are easiler pray then your chickens.

Quote:
Interesting......I'll have to look at that & the cam later....

Am getting really frustrated!!

I bought a 2pk of cages at tractor supply yest. Baited both with gizzards (cheapest meat I could find). Little cage went in the top of coop, big one right outside. I went to check before leavin for school this am, it was still dark. One gizzard from big cage was on wrong side of trigger, rest was still there so I knew something came back. Just came home to free the chickens (they were all barricaded in bottom of coop and are cold but fine). All meat gone from big cage but it was untripped and empty. It went off when I moved it so I know it works.

What can do that? Whatever it is has to be big enough to drag a near full grown big easter egger out of the coop and pen, but small enough to fit through a hole the size of my hand. How could it get the meat and not trip the cage? AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

At least all my birds were there today. I had trouble sleeping because I was worried about my red silkie roo. I have 2 full grown silkies left (both roos). They must be the only 2 smart birds I have. Instead of trying to roost in the coop like they normally do (and rest tried to) they hid in the yard last night. Waited until they went to roost to catch and barricade - so much easier. Had a hard time finding those two!!

K. I'm getting really frustrated. Whatever it is didn't bother with the smaller trap last night, but DID set off the larger one. But, The stupid cage is empty!!!
IDK if it got any birds yet, they are still barricaded in coop. Was going to leave them in for another hour or so where whatever it is came back yest morning. The coop does look untouched from the outside.

Is there a cheap way to make a homemade camera system so I at least know what I'm dealing with? Whatever it is is costing me a fortune!! Not to mention, bad dreams.

I am having same problem, 6 chickens gone out of run. We have set traps everynight, big and little, switched bait etc. Traps going off but nothing there. Next step may be poison. I hate to do it , but I can't keep my chickens trapped.

Quote:
we had the same thing happen last monday nite.we lost our pair of silkys and our coachin roo.i already had a steel trap,but i went to tractor supply and bought the same 2 trap set you bought.i have caught 2 coons in the big trap and 2 in my steel trap in the last 6 days.the small trap is for squirles,rabbit,small possums, etc..,its to small for coons.there are a couple of things that will help catch with the big trap.first,when you set it,just barely let the hook catch on the door.this will take a few trys,but its how you set a lite trigger on these traps.second,for bait try a dry cat food.put it in a empty sardine can.this is also tricky,when you put the can in the trap,the trap has to be where you are going to set it.you cant move it or you will lose your bait. put the can all the way to the back of the trap,i have to lie on my belly to get it all the way back.then flip the can upside down on top of the food,the reason for this is so he will have to move around trying to move the can,giving a better chance of him hitting the trigger plate.then just walk away and check it the next morning.
i hope this helps you,its definatly worked for me.
big_smile.png

good luck

Last edited:
Keep setting your trap. I'll bet you ALSO have a raccoon or two.

The first weekend I set out (had lost a pullet) I got 2 opossums, 3 raccoons, and a skunk.

Quote:
x2!!!!! glad you got him! but definatly keep setting your traps.i just caught a possum in mine this morning too.but hes not the last. sad to say,but we were late shutting the door on the coop tonight.and now our RIR hen is missing
sad.png
.cant realy spot any feathers with a flashlight,all the leaves back there are the color of her feathers.i'll have to look in the morning.

Last edited:
Everything's all set for tonight!! Yesterday I caught a rat, but knew there was no way that thing could get the chickens like whatever was.

Thanks again for everything gpwelding1!! You Rock!!

Hope you find your hen!!

Back
Top Bottom