Something is getting them, but what?

I hate to be the cynic, but have you considered predators of the two-legged variety? Is it possible that someone may have stolen them out of spite/hunger/envy? Sometimes people can be just as wily as natural predators, unfortunately. In all likelyhood it's probably not a person, but it doesn't hurt to look at your coop/yard security from all angles.

Good luck, and please keep us posted with any updates!

We've lived in our house for 11 years and never saw a hawk on (or over) our property. In the 3 weeks we've had the chicks, we've seen two. And one was huge. Will they take full grown birds?

Goats will help. They have been used for years with ranchers in the west to help with wolves, coyotes, and big cats. I have no idea why it works, but it does. Might try a fake owl oon one of your posts too, but don't forget to move it around regularly

My guess: a hawk or a snake. My roo was killed by a snake trying to protect his girls from it. It takes just about 20 minutes for a large snake to kill, eat and leave. That would be why you found no feathers. An 8 week old chicken is still pretty small, easy prey for a snake.

Quote:
I've had a hawk come down and try to pick up one of my 13 lb. cats right in front of me!!! He didn't get him of course, my cat in return jumped up and tried to get the hawk.

Quote:
Goats are prey for dogs, etc., so I'm not sure how that would work - donkeys however, a good 'guard' donkey, will run a canine off like nobody's business. Nose to the ground, ears pinned and set on target with their stubby little legs just trotting along.
big_smile.png
I've seen one take on a German Shepard without missing a beat.

I'm also still trying to research how/why the goats would protect from hawks. Today, the chickies are going to have to stay in, as much as I hate to do it. I discussed it with the farm owner (she thinks I'm rather silly, that losing them just comes with the territory, but going right along with my suggestions) and we'll have to keep them up for a few days, and I'm on a hunt for a pair of goats right now. We won't be able to keep them locked up for long, it's going to start getting hot again in a another day or two (although we have fans set up in the coop) and there really isn't enough room for them all to stay locked up all the time and not be stressed. I've had goats before, and I guess this is as good of an excuse as any to add a couple more critters to the farm.

One other thing I've noticed, from reading here and elsewhere of other loses to hawks, is that our flock doesn't seem the least upset - they don't act like anything has spooked them.

One thing is for sure, this isn't as much fun anymore.
sad.png
I haven't had any nice relaxing 'Chickie Time' all week.
sad.png
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom